Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Hobbies and Crafts

Hobbies and Crafts A place for crafting and other hobbies

Old May 13th, 2013, 05:39 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Gardening on a budget

I have found that buying perennials late in the season is a good way to save money on plants. I usually can get them at steep discounts. I plant them in the garden and then I have a good bloom next year.

Sometimes the day after a holiday can be good, too. The few days after Easter is a good time to make a deal on bulbs.

Make friends with the people who work in the garden section of your local big box stores and they'll tell you when things go on sale.

I found the floral person at my local grocery store is a big help. Sunday morning, the braided hibiscus were $25 each. Today, she sold me the stragglers for $1 each. 5 look really good. 1 looks like it has a mildew issue so I'll be nursing that. Even if I lose it, it's still a bargain!

What tips do you have?
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gardening on a budget

free cycle - that's how I got some of my flowers
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:13 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I let nature plant my annuals. I haven't bought vincas in years. They seed like crazy and I transplant the seedlings into my beds and pots, planted where I want them.
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:55 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Nature is excellent, KayKay! I have a few things that just grew. My vincas don't self seed, though. But the one I have is potted and it's about 3 years old so I can't complain.

Free cycle! Excellent idea, snafu!
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:18 AM

Jamanji is on a distinguished road

Yeah this is good information i like this actually i was in searching for this information and thinking to make a thread for this but i have no need to make any thread after read out this information anyways thanks for this and have a nice day

Last edited by LucyVanPelt; April 22nd, 2014 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Remove link
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:06 AM

FamilyCupmats is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Gardening on a budget

I'll tell you what I love it when beautiful flowers grow in the cracks of pavement. Thanks Nature!
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCupmats View Post
I'll tell you what I love it when beautiful flowers grow in the cracks of pavement. Thanks Nature!
I have moss growing between my flagstone. I love it!
Old June 27th, 2014, 06:02 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

That is pretty neat. I made a couple of sidewalks a while back using 12"x12" flat stone. Where I curved it there is grass that continually grows and when I use the weed eater on it it looks pretty neat. My Gdau loves to walk around the yard following the path. I picked up a 125 gallon fish pond a couple of years ago (it's been sitting in my garage all this time - haven't had time to start that project). I've finally started designing the layout for it. Running the electrical, pumps, lighting and a waterfall running into it. I want to make it big enough so my wife can plant whatever around it. I think it'll look pretty cool when it's done. Been pondering the idea of building a patio in the yard too. Thought I'd use the odd shaped beige stones for that. I'm just not certain if I want to leave a space between them or pack them together?
Old June 27th, 2014, 07:31 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as a woman who wears heels.... IMO you should pack them together.
Old June 27th, 2014, 09:45 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea. It'll probably look better too.