Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old November 15th, 2014, 08:48 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
I want to try ....

There are recipes I'd like to try (ie roasted root veggies) but its not worth it to make them for just me.

As Thanksgiving is coming up - and everyone is bringing a dish or two, should I try one more thing for the meal or just make a small batch for me and my mom (she'll be staying with us about 4 days)

I'm also wondering that if I'm cooking lots of new (and yummy sounding) food if it wil be as if we've had a week long thanksgiving ( )
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:48 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I want to try ....

I love roasted root vegetables! They are totally worth making just for yourself, and you might find that others like them, too.
Old November 16th, 2014, 12:35 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy - do you know if it is possible to reheat them in the microwave (and still have it taste good)?

I may start making stuff (2-4 servings) and taking extras with me for lunch the next day.

Roasted acorn squash stuffed with couscous sounds good, but I'd want to add chicken.
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:37 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if they're good reheated. I just eat them cold.

I think they would be fine, though, if you don't mind the soft texture.
Old November 20th, 2014, 01:12 PM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

I make them all the time for my lunch at work...just don't roast them so long...so when you nuke them, they will still be crispy...
but practice with a small amount before Thanksgiving.

I don't have a recipe, but you have to open the oven and keep checking....
then when you take them along on Thanksgiving and nuke them, do the same...
Old September 17th, 2015, 08:18 PM
future crazy cat lady

butternut squash soup is NOT worth the effort (if you peel, then cut into chunks - don't know if you could roast the squash first then scoop it out)

but it tastes better if it sets in the fridge a few days then reheat it

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:09 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

I just peel and cut them up and rub a small amount of oil, add some seasoning or any spices and roast until soft in the middle and crispy on the outside for about 1 hour. Last night I made hamburgers and chili buffalo fries, I cut up the spud into fries and added powdered spices and chili powder and oil and they were so yum. You can roast and then mash too...so yummy.
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:59 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
don't know if you could roast the squash first then scoop it out
Isn't this the way you're supposed to make butternut squash? I wouldn't know... my grocery store sells them pre-cut. I just use those (roasted in the oven).
Old September 18th, 2015, 06:05 AM

I roast the squash first and then scoop it out. I use Alton Brown's recipe every Thanksgiving.
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to try pumpkin pie, I love pumpkin roasted.....its an American dish isn't it?....whats it taste like and how do you make it?.