Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old May 23rd, 2016, 07:49 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pet peaves

Literally a "pet peeve"

This morning I was planning on sleeping in a little - maybe 45 min - an hour later than usual. (hint .... note the "planning")

I got to "sleep in" alright .... all of 5 minutes - I woke to the wonderful sound of a cat yakking.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 6th, 2016, 12:08 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Giving away the way-out-of-fashion stuff and having it come back in fashion.

Block heels are back in? Just gave away an awesome pair in March.
Old July 6th, 2016, 01:40 AM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Pet peaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
Literally a "pet peeve"

This morning I was planning on sleeping in a little - maybe 45 min - an hour later than usual. (hint .... note the "planning")

I got to "sleep in" alright .... all of 5 minutes - I woke to the wonderful sound of a cat yakking.

OMG I hate that!!.....I actually put the cat biscuits up out of the way at night so there is no midnight snacking by my furry friends.I find it stops them gorging and then throwing up later. I also hate it when you walk down the hallway at night for a tinkle and oops your toe finds a nice cold pile of splodge....blerk!!......grrrrrrrr......cat vomit....yucky yuck yuck!!!
Old September 14th, 2016, 09:07 AM
a beautiful disaster.

emily is on a distinguished road

technology going wrong

people who think they know everything about everything and that they are perfect (no one's perfect)

mental illness stigma (I live with bipolar, and my god i've heard it all)

loud noises (especially crying babies, i really can't deal with it)

hot weather

people that wear too much perfume (for crying out loud, how much do some people need?). when you get a head ache when they walk in the room, then you know it's way too much

animal/ child abuse
Old December 10th, 2016, 11:58 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

This has gone beyond simply rolling my eyes to an official pet peeve now.

The Twelve Days of Christmas are between December 25th and January 6th, NOT December 12th through December 24th.

Two local companies are advertising "Twelve Days of Christmas Giveaways." I mean, hey. I'm all for free chicken nuggets, but let's either call them Advent Giveaways or let's start the giveaway when business opens on the 26th.

SMH.
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:21 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
This has gone beyond simply rolling my eyes to an official pet peeve now.

The Twelve Days of Christmas are between December 25th and January 6th, NOT December 12th through December 24th.

Two local companies are advertising "Twelve Days of Christmas Giveaways." I mean, hey. I'm all for free chicken nuggets, but let's either call them Advent Giveaways or let's start the giveaway when business opens on the 26th.

SMH.
Haha, I was just thinking this! Stupid Hallmark Channel is doing the same thing! They have the "Twelve days to Christmas." If only the marketing people would get this: there are 12 days of Christmas, not one-- imagine all the things they could sell if they encouraged us to celebrate all 12?!?
Old December 10th, 2016, 01:56 PM

Not to mention the 24 days of an Advent calendar!
Old December 20th, 2016, 10:16 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Service animals that aren't service animals. :/

I was in the local $1 store and a woman came in dressed to the nines with a tiny dog dressed up, too. Bows in the hair, in a carryall, the whole deal. The manager politely said, "We don't allow pets in the store." She said, "She's a service animal," and proceeded to go down the list of what she was looking for and expecting someone to wait on her.

There's a young man at my church who is blind with hearing impairment. He has a real service animal. The pretenders, imo, do those working animals a disservice.
Old December 20th, 2016, 05:38 PM

Lucy, I was out on a nearby walking trail one day about a year ago and saw a family (husband, wife, approximately 5yo boy) with an energetic, happy looking German Shepherd. I can't really describe it, but they all worked so well together. The dad had a skateboard (it was a young dad, LOL) and was letting the dog pull him (with the leash) to burn up energy. The dad would let the dog off the leash for a good run, then would shout a command and the dog would freeze. Another command and the dog would come back. An arm movement and the dog would run to the mom (trailing behind on a bike with the 5yo). It seems silly, but the interaction of all members of that family was a beautiful thing.

At one point in passing, I commented what an awesome dog he had. He thanked me and said it was a service dog. It wasn't wearing a vest, and they had no obvious physical need, so I assumed (ha!) that they were training it for someone else. When I said something to that effect (that it was wonderful of them to do that) the man said "No, he's a service dog for me. I'm a veteran. I need him for PTSD."

Pretty much left me speechless (except to thank him for his service). But the deep, close relationship between that owner and the dog was obvious.

Somehow I doubt the woman dressed to the nines in a dollar store has the same issue though. LOL.
Old December 20th, 2016, 07:42 PM

There are service dogs (those assigned for a disability and are trained to do something specific for that disability), emotional support dogs, and pets. I wonder if the shepherd has been trained for PTSD?

That lady's dog? I'm not even sure it was a pet. It was more like an accessory.