Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Friend Forum > Boyfriends & Girlfriends

Old January 4th, 2018, 05:12 PM

gabbyboy is on a distinguished road
How to help my online gf with her family problems?

Iíve recently been going through a rough patch with my online girlfriend. Weíve been together for about three years now from a dating site <snip>. A couple of months ago, her family has moved in with her due to financial issues. Since theyíve been sharing the same roof, communication with her has been quite complicated.

Sheís been handling her family problems, and barely has time to contact me anymore. Iíve been worried about how things are going for her and was thinking of ways on how I could help her. Iíve offered to send her funds and things she and her family might need.

But I honestly feel like Iím not helping her out enough. Recently, Iíve been browsing through some plane tickets and I thought to myself if it would best to console her in person. I want to help her out in any way possible but what do you guys think I should do? Aside from traveling to see her, are there any other ways I can try out instead?

Iím open to any suggestions and advice you guys can give me, but my last option is definitely visiting her. I would usually talk to her about these kinds of things but she already has so much on her plate that I donít want to burden her even more. Please help me out guys, I feel like a sitting duck here.

Last edited by LucyVanPelt; January 4th, 2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: remove name of site
Old January 4th, 2018, 05:33 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to help my online gf with her family problems?

Welcome, Gabbyboy. I edited your post to remove the name of the site. I don't want your post being mistaken as an advertisement.

I'm sorry your girlfriend is having a difficult time. Offering her fund was a nice gesture. It sounds like she declined the offer? A visit at this time would also not be a good idea. While your intent would be to help her, she'd feel obligated to entertain you. You've already said that you don't want to burden her because she has too much on her plate.

At this point, I'd say the best way to support her is to let her know that you're there for her, but don't demand attention from her. If you feel ignored, or not useful, find something else to do with your time instead of waiting for her. Allow her the space to cope with her family.

Good luck. You sound like a great friend.
Old January 4th, 2018, 06:30 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever met her in person? I ask because you called her your "online gf" and I'm a middle aged fuddy duddy who doesn't know what makes someone an "online" gf as opposed to just a gf. Sorry to be ignorant.

I guess my answer depends on where the relationship is going. Do you expect to eventually marry and move in together? There's a big difference in the helping role that would be welcomed/expected from a future spouse versus a casual boyfriend.
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:25 AM
was here. I think.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Online GF? Doesn't sound very cozy <shrug>.

Get the plane tickets and go meet her. Maybe she'll come back with you... Or you'll stay with her. Maybe you and her will move to Idaho.
Old February 19th, 2018, 04:01 PM

rogerflash is on a distinguished road

Be a real man! Arrange the meeting! Meet her in person, talk and you will see..