Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Hobbies and Crafts

Hobbies and Crafts A place for crafting and other hobbies

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: quilting

just an aside - one of the women in class looked very familiar - I eventually thought I figured out where I recognized her from - and confirmed it after my most recent class - she was my prof for one class years ago
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

ex-MIL and I worked on a quilt for DS ... I learned a bit from her ( discovered that I'd been using the wrong "foot" on my machine ... I should have read the description/useage in the instruction manua)

I also learned that "Quilt in a Day" projects do NOT = done in one day - but I can probally get it done in a month (working one day a week)

The quilt is about 1/3 the way done

I really need to post pics
Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:13 PM

longhairedgnome will become famous soon enough

Would like to see pics. I love quilts.
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:00 AM

luvmyfamily will become famous soon enough

I know it's a very old post but I wanted to share a memory from my childhood related about quilt...

My grandmother used to make very lovely quilts and every time I used to go to her place in summer vacation I would insist her to make another new one for me..
She very happily used to make it for me.
In fact it had become like a small tradition amongst us to give a quilt while I returned back home.

My mom also is great at making quilts, but never did I ever used even once the quilt made by mommy till granny was too old to make them..

Even though so many years later, I still have kept all the 8 quilts with me to always be a part of my childhood memory collection.
Granny till today is so proud of me to have treasured her quilts, while I too am proud of my darling granny who took so much effort in making the quilts for me...

Now, those quilts seem so tiny and make me wonder how we grow up so soon and childhood becomes a memory..
Old December 21st, 2013, 10:28 AM

nicki23 is on a distinguished road

I wish I could learn to quilt. I tried sewing and that didn't work out so well.
Old August 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM
future crazy cat lady

I haven't worked on the quilt in over a year .... I got some help from a shop owner and am rebooting the project
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:52 PM
future crazy cat lady

I just spent a few hours working on the quilt for DS

(ok - so I had to undo everything and start over .... I did this quite some time ago)

I've decided that the only way I'm going to get this done is if I complete one phase a day. (I will take some days off though)

yesterday I ironed the fabric I was using today

and today I sewed the center block and the first light color (of 3).

tomorrow I'll find out (from the quilting shop) if I need to "square up" the blocks before I add the first dark (of 3) or after I add the first dark.
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:53 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Would LOVE to see pics Snafu!
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:18 PM
future crazy cat lady

I'm really making progress - tomorrow is my day "off" and I've got an appointment at the quilting shop the day after to help me "square up" the blocks, before I add the next set of colors.

I'm determined to get the quilt top done by the end of the month.

I've got 2 more rounds of color to do (4 strips each) - I have to iron after sewing each strip on .... then square the blocks after each "round" so that they are all the same size

Then I have to sew the blocks together (24 total)
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:13 PM
future crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
ex-MIL and I worked on a quilt for DS ... I learned a bit from her ( discovered that I'd been using the wrong "foot" on my machine ... I should have read the description/useage in the instruction manua)

I also learned that "Quilt in a Day" projects do NOT = done in one day - but I can probally get it done in a month (working one day a week)

The quilt is about 1/3 the way done

I really need to post pics
cough, cough - this quilt from (mumble) years ago is finished and DS go tit for his birthday!

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )