Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Hobbies and Crafts

Hobbies and Crafts A place for crafting and other hobbies

Old October 1st, 2013, 11:30 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Refinishing the kitchen table

I bought a new table 10 years ago and immediately the urethane began to flake off. We returned it and supposedly the store refinished it, but it still flaked. I just took to covering the table with a vinyl table cloth.

But it's gotten too bad now and the veneer started to bubble in one spot. It's very tiny, but before it becomes a problem, I'm refinishing the table.

So I stripped the old finish off, sanded, wiped, etc. All of the old finish is off and it looks great!

Except now I have to possibly stain it and then reseal it with polyurethane. Maybe I should have researched that before I got it in my mind to strip the table today.

Anyone have a preference for polycoats on kitchen tables?
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Refinishing the kitchen table

I usually use a high gloss for furniture. I did a vanith some years back and put about 25 coats of polyurethane on it. It still has that glassy finish. A few knicks over the years, but still looks great.

I made a walking stick from an old hickory tree a couple of years ago. I use it when I do my hiking excursions. I think I put about 50 coats of polyurethane on it. LOL... It looks like glass over wood.

As long as you steel wool (0000) after each coat and allow it to dry completely before the next coat you should be good.

How many coats are you planning to put on?
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:55 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking about 3 coats.

I was trying to decide if I wanted old fashioned varnish or poly, but I think the poly will do better in the kitchen. So I'm off to the store to get some High Gloss Fast Drying Poly. If I take my time, it should come out great!
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:10 AM

Put my last coat of poly on today! I had to sand because the last coat got a good bit of dust in it (thanks DD), but it looks good right now. Barring flies, gnats, or stink bugs, this coat should come out fine. No one is around to stir up the dust.
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:42 PM

David147 is on a distinguished road

This work can be done in a workshop, garage or outside if weather and conditions permit...<snip>

Last edited by LucyVanPelt; March 14th, 2015 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Remove the article
Old March 14th, 2015, 04:43 AM

David147, Mrs X already told you to cite the proper source. In this case it is http://m.wikihow.com/Refinish-a-Wood-Table.

I've been using my table for 1-1/2 years.
Old March 24th, 2015, 05:47 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

how's the table look?
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:30 PM

I think it looks great! The finish is really holding up. I always had to have a tablecloth on it and I haven't needed one since I refinished it.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 05:50 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
I think it looks great! The finish is really holding up. I always had to have a tablecloth on it and I haven't needed one since I refinished it.
Lucy, you need to take a picture of it, if you can, and share it with us....would love to see it....