Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Hobbies and Crafts

Hobbies and Crafts A place for crafting and other hobbies

Old February 4th, 2014, 11:26 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Reupholstering furniture?

I have a Streit Slumber Chair from circa 1920's which has been in a basement for the last 30 years. I put it on a curb alert, but no one took it. I can't donate it, and I can't see it in the junk yard, either.

The wood is great. The back support needs a minor repair that I can handle. But the upholstery is a mess! If will cost several hundred dollars to restore it, which I don't want to spend. I'd like to try and reupholster it myself.

Anyone have any experience or tips? Or do you want the chair?
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reupholstering furniture?

Snap! No tips or suggestions, but watch this space. we bought our dining chairs and table about 2 years after we got married. It's been moved a lot of times, and been in storage on different occasions. The table is great, but on the chairs, the joints are loose and the material is trashed. I can't sell them or give them away, and don't want to take them to the dump. I'm going to have a go at re-glueing the joints, and re-upolstering the chairs. certainly won't make them any worse.
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:50 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! I'll be excited to see the change!
Old February 6th, 2014, 05:54 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hopelessly lost on that one. Sounds like a neat project though.
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:21 AM

In case you're curious, this is my chair: http://www.ecrater.com/p/9712323/192...id=52211034499

I am waiting on another professional to get back to me. The cost starts at $500 for labor, materials and fabric are more.

The more I learn about it, the more I think it might be worth the investment?
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:51 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do it just to have a "piece"... I inherited some really odd furniture (anyone know what a melodeon is?) and I really love having it placed around my house just for interest.

That's a really cool chair. I love it!
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:40 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

It is a pretty neat chair!
Old February 6th, 2014, 02:48 PM

searain will become famous soon enough

Bet you could reupholster it yourself. Maybe try calling a local trades college or adult ed to see if there are classes. Or even try youtube for directions. Good luck. If we were closer I'd help in a heartbeat.
Old February 6th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Searain, it is definitely a 2 person job!

I'm still talking it over with DH.
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:53 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I reupholstered an amish made shaker style rocker once (I put the large faded piece of handmade quilt back into it).

I still have the rocker & I've thought about having it re-done professionally - the orginal fabric was blue velvet (type) which had faded to a yellowish color.

There may be books in your library that have the directions to re-do it yourself