Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Hobbies and Crafts

Hobbies and Crafts A place for crafting and other hobbies

Old June 1st, 2014, 01:23 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
planning for 2015

I'm planning for 2015 now. I saw plants called "Moses in a Basket" at the botanical gardens (see link 1 below)

I'm planning on putting them (5 perhaps) in a "V" shape around a New Zealand Cabbage Palm (see link 2 below) along with some vines (don't remember the name off hand)

https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608...=168&h=126&p=0

https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608...80491&pid=15.1
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:14 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: planning for 2015

the vines are vinca (a sun resistant variety)
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:36 PM
future crazy cat lady

After I discovered that Moses in a basket has an oil that people and animals can react to, I decided not to plant it

My mint has regrown well, the vica didn't

I got my tomatoes in today (late) and have a couple volunteer tomato plants - we'll see if they produce anything. I've also put in some purple basil

Additionally I bought 2 calla lilies and 2 delphinium.
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:41 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just wishing the deer would quit eating my impatiens.
Old May 25th, 2015, 09:36 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

My lemon has one single minute lemon on it, and both avocardos are still alive.

Do you guys have flax? - I've been trying to dry up some of the soggier areas around our place, so far digging some drains and planting the flax seems to be working very well. Once the soil gets a bit drier, things grow much better.
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:52 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago when we had had too much rain, we put in some drainage and that helped with the "bogs."

We're in a semi-drought right now. The beds that are usually a little dry are really, really dry. Coupled with the really cold winter, and the storms the last few years, our yard is a mess. This year is a rebuild year. We lost a few arborvitae, some azaleas, and 2 smaller evergreens look like they are dying. Little by little we'll dig them out and replace them.
Old December 27th, 2015, 04:31 PM
future crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
After I discovered that Moses in a basket has an oil that people and animals can react to, I decided not to plant it

...snip...

I got my tomatoes in today (late) and have a couple volunteer tomato plants - we'll see if they produce anything.
late update ... the volunteer tomato plants really produced a lot .... so I'm trying to see if I can get any of the seeds to grow in a pot in my basement (w/a plant grow light)

I've also decided to get rid of the brick planter box in front of the house - and plant yucas & the Moses in a basket up by the house

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old December 27th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

My update:
lemon finally proudly harvested by me, only to find that it had been half eaten by a 'possum. DH and DD very amused, but felt sorry for me too. 1 Avocardo still alive, one got a dose of over-spray from killing weeds near-by, and seems to have died above the graft...

One out of three is pretty bad!
Old December 29th, 2015, 04:31 PM
future crazy cat lady

hey, you were successful

(remember I'm the one who's killed a resurrection plant before & an air fern)

my garlic isn't doing to well I think it needs more real sunlight

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )