Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old February 1st, 2018, 09:28 AM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of
LOL The FUN never ends....

What is it with jemstar and apartment living anyways?

Due to rock salt in front, I let daughter's New/older 10# poodle out ON LEASH ALWAYS in back. Green space, lots of lawn, small lake, lovely. I am dogsitting since daughter has back to back boring meetings and some belly dance class and all that life stuff. No probs. Me Loves poodle.

Last evening 01/31 at 515pm, we are at the back door to go out for doggy business. I notice an animal by the lake edge -- getting drinky?? And we wait. . . ah, thing is moving east of me to the wooded tree area...yay me! It is moving away.

It is big. Fat bottom. Meandering to the trees -- it is an adult raccoon. ***Whom I respect and give a wide berth to. Raccky is almost to the woods, 80-90 feet or so from our back door (that is a security door. no outside door knob of any type...just smooth metal door. I prop open with mulch) and I put dog on ground.. .

as I am coming up from putting poodley on ground, I glance toward the woods... HERE COMES THE RACCOON FULL SPEED AHEAD CHARGING STRAIGHT AT US! It did a complete turn around? TO come toward us?

Me in my BIG BLACK BEAR puffer coat with HUGE hood? It's gonna take me on? sheeeesh. me skeeered.

Grabbed poodley, got into building, door closed, ran up stairs carrying dog, got into apartment, slammed door shut, locked door and shook for about four hours. Locked windows...legs are very shakey. Put potty pads on bathroom floor for poodle.

And looked to see if anyone delivers wine. No. Ok. Chose chamomile tincture in water...try.to.calm.down.jem!!!

What the fork was that? The durned thing was far far away. Had I NOT put mulch in the door things would have been bad, I feel for me AND poodley. I don't think it was coming by to say hi.

It's almost freeky. I am always worried about anything coming after me.

PTSD is an understatement. I have called several animal control folks for any info. Called my complex management. There are NO garbage cans in back at all. The lake is somewhat iced up. There is no cover from leaves, shrubs, etc. It is a wide open space pretty much.

We were inches from the door.

What would cause this monster to come at us? I know it was poodle snak. But to take the BIG BLACK THING on -- meaning me -- too?

Have NOT left the building today. May need to call instacart for groceries...hmmm do THEY deliver wine too? I will NOW carry baseball bat and larger can of pepper spray? Will that even help??

...land of the free. kind of...maybe...not so much.

Last edited by JemStar; February 1st, 2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old February 1st, 2018, 02:13 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LOL The FUN never ends....

Oh wow JemStar! You had an adventure!

I hope that raccoon wasn't rabid!
Old February 2nd, 2018, 10:11 AM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Tkank you KayKay!

I walked outside yesterday with poodley and yes I had my pepper spray and a baseball bat...midday-ish. Approached one of the managers of the complex and told him my story. He asked "ooh! you wanna know a good way to stop a raccoon from charging?" *** FINALLY SOMEONE TO HELP ME!! I am thinking. I reply, "no."

then he says...

wait for it...

"...take away his credit card."

I guess I needed that. It was funny. Hadn't heard that in a looong time.

But still I find it an extremely bizarre behavior for an adult raccoon to be so far away, to change course like that and run BACK. Like a demon. It wasn't funny. Had I NOT propped the self locking door open, yech. It would have been messy. I was so not prepared. Had no idea they do that.

I found similar stories of " raccKs attacKs " last night on the webs.
( http://mobile.wnd.com/2017/07/surge-...cks-on-people/ )

I am still trying to discover why Raccky would stop, turn around and run full speed toward us? From so far away? I found this:

Early signs of rabies in raccoons are acting disoriented, seeming partially paralyzed or sick, walking unsteadily or moving without apparent purpose. (No, No and NO! def NOT unsteady or moving without apparent purpose)

Read more: http://pestkill.org/other/raccoons/rabies/

Note to self: scratch clean up wooded area near apartment to be kind to earth...do NOT walk around property...drive to place where NO trees...get a better club. PURCHASE AND WEAR STEEL TOE BOOTS. stock up on wine, just in case.

Be careful out there...you just THINK you're safe sometimes...

Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:10 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

You are such a great writer! I love reading your stories, but I hate that you actually have to experience them, too.

We had an issue with a raccoon chasing kids and trying to get into the local elementary school during the day. It was believed to be rabid. I don't know what happened to it.

I'm wondering if the raccoons really just wanted to get in the warm places filled with food, like Over the Hedge?
Old February 15th, 2018, 10:15 AM

Thank you for the nice complement, Lucy!

I found online, a news blurb that there was a baby attacked INSIDE her HOUSE! I think it might have been Pennsylvania? The woman heard a thump, while she was in the bathroom with her son and found the baby, with a bad gash on her face laying on the floor. May have seen the racoon leaving. The building she lived in did have issues with them. They get into attics and help themselves to anything.

Of course, I found some very disturbing articles of bloody women that were just walking down their streets with their dogs *one was a large dog, and fought off an attack. A mess. One of the ER visit came to $6000 with rabies shots.

Me no likey. We also have coyote, fox, etc. I now park in light, close to door *if I could get away with it - I would park IN THE BUILDING!!

Love the animals - just not when they are running AT me.

http://www.fox29.com/news/local-news...g-of-donations

Last edited by JemStar; February 15th, 2018 at 10:27 AM.