Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old October 28th, 2014, 05:11 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: random acts of kindness

DS and I went out for super last week and I saw a grandfatherly type man sitting in booth by himself eating his supper. I paid for his meal.
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:31 AM

FrankSinets will become famous soon enough

Once I saw a homeless women that were crying. She dident look older then 28.. I just could not see her sitting there with tears, it was late, so I gave her money to sleep one night at a hotell. Not sure if it went there, but she sure smiled up.

Made my day, and give's me a lesson each day still.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:36 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if this counts as random...

I sent cookies to students (during the school wide study hall period). Two students had gone out of their way to be kind to a student with disabilities, and the others had turned in their homework everyday in a particular class (not as many as I'd hoped)

I checked in with *one teacher who had one of the students and the girl was happy that her effort was acknowledged (and rewarded) .

I was double checking that the cookies were delivered.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 03:06 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not get in trouble for that, snafu? It would seem like with all of the food allergies, diabetes, health codes, etc. that a teacher giving a student cookies would be frowned upon.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:19 PM
future crazy cat lady

a school sponsored club has a school "Coffee Shop" - I paid for the cookies & they delivered them for me
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:31 PM

memyselfandi will become famous soon enough

I believe a lot in paying it forward and do it often. Might not be money, but acts of kindness.

The other day there was a woman in distress in the parking lot of the grocery store. Her daughter was screaming in the backseat and she was trying to jumpstart her car from another. I told her to go comfort her daughter as I got her car started. She was soo thankful.

Another time there was a guy who's dog had gotten loose in a busy parking lot of the same grocery store. He was calling and calling him and she was freaking out with all the cars driving around.

I have some experience with animals, being I worked at our local Humane Society; along with a local rescue, and sat down on the grass away from the traffic; and when she was out of the way of traffic, I called out for her to sit and stay. Once she did that, I approached her slowly, telling her to stay..stay..and then to come, which she did.

Poor thing was soo frightened, but we got her to safety. The owner was soo very thankful and wondered why she wouldn't come to him and I explained that she felt his fear also..and wanted to come to him through all that traffic in order to ease HIS fear.

Our society needs to take a good look at themselves sometimes. Not ONE single person in that parking lot tried to help this individual except me. They were all either too busy talking on their cell phones..or too busy not to care.

Why is it that most people, unless it's their problem, decide that since it's not THEIR problem..choose to just go on with their busy lives??

I could write a book about how many times I've seen how people could pay it forward in their busy lives and it makes me sad that most just don't even notice..or don't care.

That's not me. I'll always do what I can.

I'd like to post a big pay it forward example:

One of my very best friends lost her husband several years ago. They stop whenever necessary to help a person in need; and on the date of his birthday, they go to a restaurant, choose a couple, and anonymously pay for their meal.

In addition, they have started a scholarship fund in his name for great students toward their college funds.

There are amazing people out there and it doesn't take money to start what it takes for someone else to pay it forward from someone else's kindness.

It just takes one to start..
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:57 PM

Tcvan is on a distinguished road

I went to Dorney Park this year (shout out to anyone who knows Dorney Park), and my ex boyfriend and I were about to leave. We stopped at one of the basketball games and we noticed that one of the employees was walking very slowly and couldn't even pick up the basketballs.

He then went over behind the employee stand and slumped to the ground. We ran over behind the fence where he was and I asked if he was okay. He waved me away like "I'm fine", but I was worried. He was sweating like crazy and breathing heavily. My ex is an EMT so I tried to convince him to help the kid. But legally he couldn't do anything. So I hopped the fence and went over to help him. I helped him drink water, and I would rub cold water around his neck and on his forehead. My ex stood behind the fence tell me what to do. According to him, the kid was suffering from major dehydration. So bad that his hands were starting to curl.

A medical help team eventually came and they allowed me to come with them to first aid. My ex followed along. The medical team made him drink a lot of water as well as gave him some form of medicine. I forgot what it was. My ex acted like a supervisors for the EMTs at work. I sat beside the kid comforting him and patting his head with a cold rag.

Eventually he got better, and me and my ex gave him a big hug when he left.

I hope it doesn't seem that I'm bragging, 'cause I'm not. I never done anything like that before, and even I was impressed in myself that I did what I did. I felt so good to actually help someone.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 01:14 PM
future crazy cat lady

the other day DH and I were at a "make it in front of you" restaurant - there were about a dozen airmen there - DH bought cookies and brownies and let the airmen choose what they wanted - one of the commanders gave DH a patch off of his flight suit when they left
Old January 3rd, 2015, 06:03 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

LOL - last year sometime DD came home very happy because someone in front of her at Starbucks drive-thru paid for her order. I asked her if she paid for the person behind her to 'pay it forward' and she was pretty horrified that it had never occurred to her. For some strange reason, DD mentioned this yesterday even though it had been a long time since the original event. I told her that I had read stories of over 1,400 people 'paying it forward' over a number of days. She loved that idea.

She came home today saying that the same thing had happened to her when she got to the window of the drive-thru fast food place where she got lunch today. The woman in front of her had paid for half of her meal. DD said she asked if she could pay the same amount towards the person behind her. She seemed as excited to have done it for someone else as she was to have had it done for her.

Who knows? Maybe some day it will occur to her to start the chain.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 06:25 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I love it!

I always pass the remainder of my gift card to the person behind me. Who needs the left over $3.14?