Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Friend Forum > Other friendships

Other friendships Best friends, ex-friends, or any other friends

Old April 15th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Sweety is on a distinguished road
Question Second chance?

Hi everyone!
I wish to hear your opinion on the following matter. Would you trust the person who has already betrayed you once? Would you give him/her another chance or you always adhere strictly to the saying 'Who betrayed you once, that will betray you the second time' trying to be away from that person?
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:12 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Second chance?

Sweety- I'm not meaning to pry, but I would have to have more details. I was foolish & kept trusting my Pseudo In-laws (see past thread) until they hurt my mom/family. Now... we're in partial cut-off. I still want to give them another chance, but on MY terms- no exceptions.
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:26 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Well Sweety, I'm fresh off the demise of a friendship of someone who betrayed me three times.

So the answer is (in my case) yes, obviously I would give someone a second chance but no, I probably shouldn't have.

The truth is that after being betrayed the first time I thought maybe I had misunderstood, maybe I was wrong, maybe maybe maybe... So the second chance came with heightened awareness. After the second betrayal, I was a lot more aware that I hadn't been wrong, but I still tried to see it from her point of view... why would she have done that? The third chance came with no trust - I knew to tread carefully and I knew not to trust her. She still betrayed me.

There will be no fourth chance.

But like snafu said... if you have a specific situation in mind, we probably need more info.
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

Sure, second, third, fourth chances. But only if there is a true apology and a commitment to not do the same thing again.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Sweety is on a distinguished road

There's fortunately no specific situation related to me, but during my life experience I've met several people who were badly betrayed, & it happened to some of them even more than once - it looked like triggering a backflash.
As for me I would never trust the person who betrayed me once, as that person would definitely repeat the same thing again. My point of view on this is that one cannot justify such conduct; such behaviour is inexcusable. Maybe I am too strict, but such is me.