Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Reproduction and Pregnancy

Reproduction and Pregnancy Discuss issues related to Reproduction and Pregnancy

Old July 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM

elaine will become famous soon enough
Another baby name thread

How did you chose your childrens names? Is there a tradition or custom in your family? Is your child named after someone? Or did you simply pick a name you liked? Did anyone in your extended family play a part or have a voice in the name you picked?

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another baby name thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine View Post
How did you chose your childrens names? Is there a tradition or custom in your family? Is your child named after someone? Or did you simply pick a name you liked? Did anyone in your extended family play a part or have a voice in the name you picked?

Very boring in our case, I'm afraid. DS's name popped in my mind when I found out I was pregnant. Oddly enough, when I told DH that I was pregnant, he immediately said "If it's a boy, I like the name ______" which was exactly the name that had popped into my mind. We never wavered and I still love that name. The middle name we had trouble with. He wasn't named "after" a friend of ours, but our friend happened to call the night before I gave birth and I said "Hey... what about ________ as a middle name?" DH liked it, so that's what he was.

With DD, well... she was supposed to be John. We had picked out the name Mary Elizabeth as our girl name for DS, and just hadn't thought any further when pregnant for the second time... we hadn't used it so we just kept it. When she was born and wasn't "John", we looked at her and said "That's not a Mary Elizabeth." (We were right).

We had the hardest time picking out a name for her, but we weren't allowed to leave the hospital until we had (hospital policy - they submitted paperwork for SSN). As the day wore on, I cared less and less what her name was. The only thing we knew for sure was what initials we wanted her to have... DH is a car nut and he wanted her to have initials of one of his favorite cars (not SST, but something along those lines). I actually don't like the name we got for her, but she loves it. So there you have it. It worked out.

Neither of my kids were named after anyone, but DH and I were adamant that they have "normal" names. We were both cursed with non-normal names that no one can spell or pronounce or say without wondering who in the h*ll would name their kid that. LOL.

No one got a say in what we named our kids, although my D regularly made a joke out of suggesting the most outlandish names he could think of. (He was just poking fun). One funny thing was that when DD was born, my B (uncharacteristically) called me in the hospital and kept me on the phone for an hour suggesting names. I later learned that he had just found out *HE* was going to be a Daddy.
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM

elaine will become famous soon enough

DS1's name is a name we both loved and always knew if we had a boy that's what his name would be. It's a very traditional name with a traditional spelling. DS1's middle name is that of my husbands. I love it.

DS2's name we struggled with. We *thought* we had a name picked out but as it came closer to due date, it just didn't fit. DS2 shares a middle name with my grandfather. I like the name but would probably do something different if I had it to do over again. His name in and of itself if beautiful (I think) but my two sons names together always give somebody something to talk about. (Think Adam and Eve, or Ben and Jerry, if that makes sense.) I didn't realize it would be such a big deal and didn't think much about it. Apparently, though, others find it amusing and always feel the need to comment on it.

KayKay, you thought your DD was going to be a DS? Were you told that?

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:54 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

No, I wasn't told that. I was just SURE of it though. LOL. She IS a huge tomboy.

DH and I wanted the sex of both kids to be a surprise. DS wasn't so much, because I just "knew" I was having a boy. DD certainly was a surprise. After she was born, I kept asking "Are you SURE?" I was so stunned that I spent about 2 months calling her "Girl" or "Girly Girl" because it was such a shock. In fact, DS's nickname for her was his (16 month old) attempt at saying Girly Girl ... "Goo-goo" (He doesn't call her that anymore... his vocabulary has expanded somewhat )

ETA: elaine - about your kids' names - I know a set of (female) twins named Sunny and Skye. I know that when they're older it'll be no big deal, but can you imagine people's reactions when they were little?
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Grace is on a distinguished road

Oh, this is timely! DH and I had a bit of argument about this yesterday and we don't even have kids yet!

DH was insistent that a child's middle name should be something that 'meant something', you know like 'named after someone in the family'. He told me 'for example, my middle name is after my father's father'. (DH really likes his Dad's name, so I know where this going).

My maiden name is a boy's name. So, going with DH's theme, I suggested that if we had a boy, he could have my maiden name as a middle name. DH says he doesn't like it.

So I told him I've already taken his surname, any kids will have his surname, so unless he wants me to change back to my maiden name, there will be no more names from his family, thankyouverymuch!