Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Friend Forum > Other friendships

Other friendships Best friends, ex-friends, or any other friends

Old May 4th, 2017, 08:26 PM

matty2cat is on a distinguished road
I hate my friends

I am only in high school, so I imagine things will change. I never truly found people I can truly relate to, so I started hanging out with "the dregs of society," because they are very accepting of all people. Though they aren't all bad, and I really like being around them sometimes, I realize that I disliked them. All they do is either complain or do drugs/drink. I would like to leave them, but they are now all I have.

I would continue to hang out with them, but they are such downers that I can no longer justify doing it. To have fun, we compete to be the center of attention, and say loud and stupid things. Their behavior is starting to bleed off onto me. This shows now when I am trying to get friendly with a new group of people. Always, I blow it by talking too much, too loudly, and too stupidly.

My social skills have taken a decline, and so has my confidence. I used to be the happiest person, smiling and laughing all the time, with determination to make my dreams a reality at any cost. Now I can only find solace in sitting in my darkened room, and my dreams seem distant and impossible.

I have lost the confidence to even talk to people outside of the group. I need out. I need real social interaction, not this phony stuff. What do I do?
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:22 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I hate my friends

Talk to your parents, and then talk to your doctor to rule out depression.

Then... work on your social skills. Talk to other people at school, even if it is just in passing at the water fountain. Find other places where you can get the chance to talk to people and do your best socially. You know better, you just have bad habits right now. Maybe get a part-time job, maybe join an after-school club, maybe even do some volunteer work in an area you're interested in. If you feel the need to keep up with your current friends, divide and conquer - try to spend brief periods of one-on-one time with them. There can't be a competition for attention if there are only two of you and you aren't interested in competing.

Focus on your dreams. And remember that high school is only four years. Soon enough you will be graduated and off to the next big adventure!

And don't forget that sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMFIganRQY