Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Friend Forum > Boyfriends & Girlfriends

Old September 8th, 2016, 02:22 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engaged after 7 months

Please educate the uneducated here...

Does marrying a New Zealander qualify one for an Australian visa? Sorry to be dense, but I'm not understanding the concern about visas.

Is your friend marrying him so quickly so SHE can get an Australian visa?
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:12 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
Please educate the uneducated here...

Does marrying a New Zealander qualify one for an Australian visa? Sorry to be dense, but I'm not understanding the concern about visas.

Is your friend marrying him so quickly so SHE can get an Australian visa?

No,marrying a kiwi / NZder does not qualify anyone for a Aussy visa. Some people try to get into either country and marry a citizen and use that to try to gain leverage into the country they want to go to either NZ or Aus.Many people use NZ as a place to jump from. My friend is only a permanent resident here,shes not even a Citizen. NZ and Aussy immigration is totally separate form each other and Aussy has very recently tightened their laws,they are even deporting people who have lived there with minor criminal convictions, some historic up to 20yrs prior,but they are just deporting them.They are being deported whether married or not,and even if they have kids and own businesses and homes etc,it doesnt matter to them. Its been in the news lately.
Im not sure what these two think they can gain?, I think its about him being able to stay in Aus as he must only be on a visitor visa there with a work permit only being there 3 years?. I warned my friend that the immigration laws have been recently changed there in Aus in the last few months so she needs to find out what the updates are. I didnt think getting married will really help them. I dont think either of them know what they are doing.Im sure my friend is dazzled by the glint of light coming from her brand new engagement ring!!!My friend says that by showing they are married it will look better to immigration as it will demonstate they are serious and more committed than if they were two singles.....??

I just had a quick check on the Aussy immigration website and you can only work there for a year at a time on a work permit visa so you would have be extending it it yearly and you can only be a permenant resident there if you have been there for 4 years...so this guy is only on a working visa and a non resident as hes only been there 3 years.....surely that would make her suspicious???.

Last edited by Catwoman; September 8th, 2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:01 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so it's as confusing as I thought.
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:05 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay, so it's as confusing as I thought.
Haahahaha,yes it is a bit confusing.....I dont think getting married will help them at all,he must be extending his work visa all the time and thats the need to get married I reckon.They dont realise Aussy laws are now very tough.....will be very interesting to see if they make it to a wedding or even stay together after that,I know that sounds neg,but its reality.

Last edited by Catwoman; September 8th, 2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old September 20th, 2016, 01:39 PM

So I have talked to my friend a couple of times since last time by phone in quite lengthy conversations and we talked yesterday. With her ringing me,she calls me her aunty and always has lol,as she was involved with our close family friend at one time.She told me the business is now on the market and and she has a bit of interest through friends and family.Its in the food industry making products for daily sale. She told me the price and I said ohhh...thats quite a lot lower than I expected too as its in a bit of an affluent area and close to the city. She said she has lowered the price as she wants a quick sale.

What surprised me is that she said that the fiance is so romantic he has been ringing her every day and has even already bought her plane ticket already as she said she has no money at the moment. I find that rather strange considering she has an income with a business that she owns with her Mum that makes money every day,and she will be earning surely?,and she will be getting a chunk of money from the sale soon as well?. She said they will be getting married as soon as shes get over there in a registry office. Her fiance told her had been married before in France, but it didn't last due to his wife's cheating on him...I just think well there must be more to this story?.

I held my tongue and didnt even say a word about it,I just said oh that's nice.....but secretly I just feel the guy is rushing her along to get what he wants,maybe because his work / visitor visa is running out there soon?. There seems to be some urgency to get married?.After saying she knows she should be careful and take her time,shes now changed her tune to the wedding is urgent.She said this guy is so keen to buy a house and start a family as soon as,and she said thats what she wants too. I dont think this guy has any money really,as he owns nothing there.Only thing is she going to be the one either with some money or no money depending on how well the business has been run?.

My hubby said that he doesnt think they will be able to marry easily in Aussy as they are not even permanent residents there either of them.We think the rushing to get married isnt going to help a thing,and as I stated before,Aussy has recently tightened up its laws even against us NZders now. I think they may make it to the alter,but its how long it lasts after that?.....for two people that barely know each other.....I was quite good at saying nothing at all about it...but I am worried for her......but she is 30. I really think she has got carried away with a romantic fantasy on this one. It would be very easy to talk her into a wedding as thats all she ever wants with anyone??. I just feel this guy is country hopping and has found a girl to help stay where he wants to go.Even though she says they have been together 7 months,I dont think they have even been in the same country for most of that?.... I only said the last time we talked to spend a bit of time,even a few months to see if you can even live together before marrying, find out what the person is really like.But by the way shes talking she says that with the future goals they have discussed they are a perfect match and a mirror for each other even???, .....I just think hes told her everything she wants to hear. Will be interesting to see what happens when she gets over there??. She's doing exactly what she told me she wouldn't do and that is give in too easily and make it easy for him?, she said she decided against marrying him here because that was too easy and too fast,but its now turned to urgency over there?.....oh well her life I suppose.

Last edited by Catwoman; September 20th, 2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:17 PM

That's so sad.

I wish there was a way for you to ask the question in a manner that doesn't need answering but would cause her to ask it of herself, kwim? Like "Gee... he sure seems to be in a big rush!" Or even "Oh, that's what ExHusband and I did/thought too!" But like you say, there's nothing for you to do since she is 30.
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
That's so sad.

I wish there was a way for you to ask the question in a manner that doesn't need answering but would cause her to ask it of herself, kwim? Like "Gee... he sure seems to be in a big rush!" Or even "Oh, that's what ExHusband and I did/thought too!" But like you say, there's nothing for you to do since she is 30.
Hi Kaykay yes I agree thats a great way to do it,I might just say...oh its going to be a bit of a rush isnt it?......the other scary thing I have just read on the Australian Internal affairs website is that you dont have to be a permanent resident or citizen of Australia to marry there, but you do have to show proof a previous marriage has been legally ended as he will have to??.. It's scary because she will be able to marry there very easily by the looks.....but I dont think it will guarantee them being able to stay there easily?....oh no, I just have a bad feeling about this one.Its hard because she's so happy and excited and I dont want to be mean and burst her bubble,but I dont want her to make big mistake either. I know what that's like after I left my first husband and I had to pay a lot of money to do our divorce and it costs more if the other person is not even in the same country as you,as it was in our case.....the other thing is sadly the Immigration dept there might ask why they have both come to Australia to get married and he might be having to extend his visa again,and they might see that and even decline him?...they might see it is being done for that purpose?.So it still may not keep either of them there?.

Im a firm believer in that saying "If something sounds too good to be true?, it probably is?.....

Last edited by Catwoman; September 20th, 2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:25 PM

This friend was supposed to come over last week before going to OZ,she said she would come see me before she goes over there,as the fiance had bought her a ticket....but she didnt phone and didnt turn up,so I suspect shes gone...oh well good luck....will be interesting to see what happens in the end.
Old October 18th, 2016, 03:05 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry she left without saying goodbye.
Old October 18th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
I'm sorry she left without saying goodbye.

Its ok, Im not offended,I just hope shes ok running off with someone she hardly knows....Im just concerned about her really.