Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old September 29th, 2016, 01:05 AM

granpa T is on a distinguished road
grandpas rights

my 15 year old grand daughter approached me and asked if I would buy her birth control/ (condoms, doctors app. ect.) her parents are against the very thought of her having a relationship with a boy, we are very close so she finds it comfortable to talk to me about these type of things, I think birth control and disease control are important. and she thinks she is ready to take the next step in her growth into adulthood, should I comply and help her or should I follow her parents wishes and just tell her "no" and know that it will lead to risky and unsafe behavior because in the long run she will do what she wants anyhow.......
torn grandpa
Old September 29th, 2016, 03:35 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: grandpas rights

Refer her back to her parents. I don't know why you think this is a "grandparent's rights" thing in any way. I do not believe a grandfather belongs in his granddaughter's reproductive health decisions. I think it's icky and suspect.

Step away and let her parents guide her through life's challenges.
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:49 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah. I don't care HOW close you are, with something as big as this you would be foolish to help your granddaughter go against her parents wishes. It's too bad that your granddaughter is giving in to the pressure presented to her; that is not the "next step in her growth to adulthood" but rather a huge trial of adolescence.

Birth control and disease control aren't the only important things. So is long term health (early age of sexual activity being a risk factor for cervical cancer) and emotional well-being (early age of sexual activity being a risk factor for depression). Give her parents some credit for wanting what's best for her.

She's a minor, for crying out loud. She hasn't reached the age of consent in most places. Boys who would be interested in her just want to use her body, not have a meaningful relationship. Really? You support that?
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:15 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

She needs to be encouraged to talk to her parents, and told that by law she is underage. This isn't something you should be involved with, although by all means be concerned for her.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old September 29th, 2016, 06:07 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a GPa. No way. Don't do it. I would explain to her why I won't do it and, as has been stated... Refer - encourage her back to her parents. I would also talk to her mother - not her father (let her mother talk to her father). It's great that you have such a good communicating relationship with your GDau... But this is something that she really needs to talk to her mother about.

What you said is true... "Kids will do as they want anyway." However, they will also seek guidance from those they respect and it is obvious your GDau respects your opinion. Therefore, I believe she will listen to what you say. She may not like the idea of talking to her mother, but she will listen to you. Seriously... This is a situation that MUST be handled by her Mom.

You're a good GPa being so concerned about your GDau.