Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old March 26th, 2015, 03:38 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
getting rid of stuff

I'm trying to get rid of stuff (I've got boxes that probably haven't been unpacked thru 2-3 moves ...oops).

I'm now attempting the "Joy" method (not really called that). I read about it in a book (that I haven't finished reading & I had to return to the library ... I'll get it back though)

The basic gist I got was if something doesn't bring you joy (in some form) get rid of it. It also recommended start with the easy stuff ... ex. the kitchen.

It also recommended you do everything of the same type at the same time .... I have books in multiple places - I need to do them all at the same time.

I'm not planning on having a yard sale - stuff worth $$ will be put on Craig's List, donated or free cycled.
Old March 26th, 2015, 06:06 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: getting rid of stuff

Hi Snafu, I have been selling a lot of my stuff online on an auction site in NZ. I have cleaned out heaps from my wardrobe and shoe closet. I was a collector of labeled handbags, shoes, makeup, jewellery etc, so I decided to sell heaps of my stuff to raise money for my trip in December. Ive been a member of this site selling since 2006.

My fav saying about stuff is "It's not a bargain if you dont really need it"

I'm trying to stick to that now. Its quite good therapy to de-clutter I find..
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:40 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: getting rid of stuff

couch, cough ..... um.... I discovered that I'm not able to do everything of the same type at the same time due to all the "carp" we have - I can't get to some of the stuff. (X-mas stuff has just been tossed/thrown on shelves for a few years and has overflown to the floor - blocking access to storage that has books)

Yesterday, I started with my bookshelves downstairs - I had notes from when I was working on my masters degree (oops). I cleaned out over 12 binders, notebooks, random paper, plus about 3 dozen books I don't read anymore. Some of the books will go to my mom's (she'll share with friends), some will be donated, and others pitched.

Today I started on (gulp) the shelves in the basement. It's gonna be a long process.
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:52 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

When I did the clean out process too many years ago, I did it by location rather than type. So I'd do one cabinet one day, a closet a few days later. When I came across something that belonged in another category (such as Christmas decorations) I'd put it with the other Christmas decorations to wait until I got to it. If I came across something that belonged in a category I had already done, I dealt with it then.
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be person who saved everything, but now when its rubbish it just goes straight out. I have to fight my husband to throw away old soccer boots with rips in them, he says,oh just keep them for mucking around, I said they are no good,they are going in the bin!!....and so they did.
Old March 29th, 2015, 05:23 AM
future crazy cat lady

I'm having to do it the same way kaykay

once I've separated the "chafe" from the "grain", so to speak, I'll be able to do categories (that probably won't happen for months)

once I have made space, DH & I plan on moving everything from the attic to the basement - before we're too old to go thru the hatch in the ceiling (there's no stairs to the attic )

It seems strange, but I like seeing the neat shelf - it makes me feel good, am I weird or what?