Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old January 11th, 2016, 11:03 AM
is a painting fool.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: getting rid of stuff

Lucy... I can why you donate. I think I'll do the same thing with the stove.

Crème... Years and years of accumulation. I feel your pain... My wife and I have soooooooo much stuff.
Old July 15th, 2016, 08:52 AM

skyisthelimit is on a distinguished road

It has been a habit to me to declutter once in awhile,once or twice a year to be exact. every time i do some general cleaning, i always prepare 2 huge boxes. one box is for the stuff that we need to get rid of and the other one to keep. i always always start in the bedroom, specially the closets. my rule in cleaning closets: if you didn't use it for a year, then it's time to get rid of it.
Old August 11th, 2016, 04:29 PM

skyisthelimit is on a distinguished road

The rule is: if you have not touched the thing for more than 1 year, give it away or throw it out. **moderator edit to remove reference**

Last edited by KayKay; August 11th, 2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:07 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly, I disagree completely with that ridiculous rule. I didn't bother posting the first time you mentioned it, but I'll speak my mind now since you have brought it up twice.

I am a petite enough (boned) person that a weight gain of 5 pounds sends me up a size. I'm not going to give away a lot of really nice clothes that are high quality and flattering on me in a size 4 just because one fall (a short season in Texas) I happen to have eaten too much Halloween candy and have to squeeze to get in to a size 6. That's ridiculous. I am also not going to give away a really nice, formal dress that I can certainly wear again because I have only had one event to wear it to.

That "get rid of it" attitude has done a lot to fuel excess consumerism and fill a lot of landfills. It makes me sad.

My "method" is to buy quality, classic clothes to begin with. Add accents or pieces to bring the basic in to current style. My basic black dress that I bought in 2002 is still a mainstay in my wardrobe even if I don't have more than one occasion per year to wear it. Think of all of the money I have saved not buying new black dresses in those 14 years?!
Old January 14th, 2017, 10:50 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I just got done organizing my DM's stuff in my basement ... now there's room to move (before there was just a path )

... I was trying to find my quilting stuff ... which I did

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:10 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I bet that has taken a weight off of your shoulders!