Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Peace777 is on a distinguished road
Pet Insurance-Is It Worth It?

We just adopted a new puppy and we are wondering about pet insurance. The vet has given us the information to sign up if we like. It would be about $38/month with a $500 deductible. Does anybody have any experience with this?
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:24 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pet Insurance-Is It Worth It?

If you can afford the premiums, but not a big medical bill, it can be the difference between having to have your beloved pet put down or being able to give them a second chance. Obviously, you need is the $500 in hand, but less obviously, you need the decision in your head beforehand of what to do if the bill is going to go over the allowable upper limit should there be a major accident or illness.

What sort of puppy?
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:05 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

We had a dog for 14 years we were lucky with health wise that we didn't get pet insurance for. Then we got two sisters. We saw an advertisement when they were 7 that you could get new insurance for pets up to 8yo. We decided then to get it. Both dogs as they got older had many health problems. My dog passed age 13. My mum's passed last year age 17, after about 6 years of living with several chronic health conditions. That insurance saw my mum through. Without it my mum would never have been able to afford the veterinary care The dog needed and she wouldn't have had the opportunity of enjoying the long life she did.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:47 AM

Peace777 is on a distinguished road

We got a female Shih Tzu/Maltese mix. She is 12 weeks old and adorable! The last dog I had lived to be 14 and he was healthy up until he got sick and passed. The costs for him were just the usual yearly checks, etc., nothing significant. Hubby and I talked, and we are thinking we will stay away from the insurance, and if she becomes ill or injured we will just pay for it. I found some reviews online about pet insurance, and although some people were very happy, many say when they were not. Some stated when they submitted a legitimate claim the insurance company would not reimburse them. Others state the company was great, and their pet was well taken care of. Maybe it depends on the company??
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:20 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

A matter of preference. I love my dogs too, but that's what they are... Dogs. We take good care of them, but if there was something terminally wrong...

I just don't believe in allowing an animal to suffer.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 11:07 PM

Mochadelicious is on a distinguished road

Just make sure to read the fine print on coverage. Most don't cover routine visits but will cover accidents or illness. Also most don't cover pre-existing conditions so that in itself is a good reason to get it while they are still young and healthy. The monthly premiums tend to be cheaper too when the pet is young vs older. Just keep in mind most premiums will increase little by little every year (much like people insurance does). It's amazing but I've heard of vet bills reaching 10 - 20 grand depending on the illness or injury so unless you can afford that out of pocket I would recommend the insurance.