Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:50 AM

Cagnc90 is on a distinguished road
Re: Boyfriends daughter hates OUR dog.

I understand she was just making a statement but it is completely irrelevant to my situation I know that any dog can bite givin the chance. And his daughter is very important to me. I just hate that she's scared of everything. He once got her a tiny little baby that crawled and laughed and giggled and she screamed and cried EVERY time he turned it on. She is scared of everything, dogs people she doesnt know certain toys that make noise. He didn't get rid of the toy she hated, and we don't make people that make her cry leave the house because that's extreme. Why is OUR dog whom we chose to get together any different. Also for the time being I do put him outside most of the time she is here I just don't want to argue about it I feel like he's being a little close minded as a couple of you are. Some of you are acting like the dog is already proven a danger to the little girl and that isn't the case at all. She just simply doesn't like him.
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:19 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not acting like the dog is a proven danger. I think it's your boyfriend's decision whether or not to trust the dog around his daughter. You haven't said what he wants to do, but you are very adamant that you think it's unfair to get rid of the dog.

I'm far more concerned about his daughter.

What do YOU think the solution is?
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:00 AM

BagLady will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagnc90 View Post
I understand she was just making a statement but it is completely irrelevant to my situation I know that any dog can bite givin the chance. And his daughter is very important to me. I just hate that she's scared of everything. He once got her a tiny little baby that crawled and laughed and giggled and she screamed and cried EVERY time he turned it on. She is scared of everything, dogs people she doesnt know certain toys that make noise. He didn't get rid of the toy she hated, and we don't make people that make her cry leave the house because that's extreme. Why is OUR dog whom we chose to get together any different. Also for the time being I do put him outside most of the time she is here I just don't want to argue about it I feel like he's being a little close minded as a couple of you are. Some of you are acting like the dog is already proven a danger to the little girl and that isn't the case at all. She just simply doesn't like him.
I am a dog owner/lover/trainer. This is about being a responsible dog owner. Especially when you own the type of dog that has known tendencies to potentially be dangerous.
When I got my German Shepherd, 2yrs ago. I knew I had to be very careful when it came to my grandchildren, or anyone for that matter.
I let them visit through the fence. He's still a puppy at 2, who could accidently knock someone down. Yes, I've trained him to stay down,etc., but he's full of energy.
Is he aggressive? No. Am I going to take a chance? No. I know of 2 Rott's that were family pets that turned on the kids in those family's. One kid was 2 and one was 3.
If you were a Mom, you would understand where we are coming from.
Old April 1st, 2013, 12:49 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

Quote:
Should we "get rid" of people that come in our house that she doesn't like?
Does she like you?
Old April 1st, 2013, 01:03 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My boyfriend and I made a commitment when we purchased jaxon. And that was to love him and care for him, until something tore us apart implying death.
I actually think *this* is what the problem is. If the boyfriend now wants to get rid of the dog because of his daughter, I think that's why Cagnc90 is so upset.

Cagnc90, perhaps your boyfriend doesn't get rid of toys that scare his daughter. But does he force her to play with them? Or do the toys stay in the closet while she's there? You can't make the comparison between Jax and a toy, or Jax and people who come over. First, Jax is not an inanimate object that can be turned off and stored in a closet. Second, Jax is a full-time resident of your home, not someone who just visits for a little while. Third, you can't explain to Jax why she's crying.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be unsupportive, but I think that you are fighting a losing battle if you're going to insist that your boyfriend chose Jax over his daughter.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:37 AM

I don't expect him to choose a dog over a human, but his daughter is fine. Kids have to deal with things they don't like all the time. What if he father and I had a child and she decided not to like him or her. My point here is that he lets her control his life. Our dog does ABSOLUTELY NO HARM to his little girl. She simply doesn't like him. Do you ALL like your jobs. Probably not but you deal with it. Do your kids all like school, probably no. It's funny how I put this in a dog owners discussion forum and they all agree with me, that she shouldn't be controlling him this way. He gives into her every time she makes a peep. She wants to stand in the bath tub, suuuure why not. She wants to play and run back and forth from the dinner table to the play room suuuure why not. This behavior isn't acceptable she needs to learn the rules the adults make go and giving in to her not liking a pet is ridiculous.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
I am a dog owner/lover/trainer. This is about being a responsible dog owner. Especially when you own the type of dog that has known tendencies to potentially be dangerous.
When I got my German Shepherd, 2yrs ago. I knew I had to be very careful when it came to my grandchildren, or anyone for that matter.
I let them visit through the fence. He's still a puppy at 2, who could accidently knock someone down. Yes, I've trained him to stay down,etc., but he's full of energy.
Is he aggressive? No. Am I going to take a chance? No. I know of 2 Rott's that were family pets that turned on the kids in those family's. One kid was 2 and one was 3.
If you were a Mom, you would understand where we are coming from.
HE IS NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE DOG BEIG DANGEROUS please people that is not my issue!!!! His daughter just doesn't like him bc he's weird me moves like a human but he is not a human and it freaks her out!!!! No where in the discussion have I implied him BEIG dangerous or her father even being worried about him being dangerous that is not the problem!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I actually think *this* is what the problem is. If the boyfriend now wants to get rid of the dog because of his daughter, I think that's why Cagnc90 is so upset.

Cagnc90, perhaps your boyfriend doesn't get rid of toys that scare his daughter. But does he force her to play with them? Or do the toys stay in the closet while she's there? You can't make the comparison between Jax and a toy, or Jax and people who come over. First, Jax is not an inanimate object that can be turned off and stored in a closet. Second, Jax is a full-time resident of your home, not someone who just visits for a little while. Third, you can't explain to Jax why she's crying.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be unsupportive, but I think that you are fighting a losing battle if you're going to insist that your boyfriend chose Jax over his daughter.
No he doesn't force her to play with them, but I don't want her to play with jax I just want them to coexist with out an argument. He leaves her alone he keeps to him self and she still cried when he simply enters a room. That's ridiculous!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I'm not acting like the dog is a proven danger. I think it's your boyfriend's decision whether or not to trust the dog around his daughter. You haven't said what he wants to do, but you are very adamant that you think it's unfair to get rid of the dog.

I'm far more concerned about his daughter.

What do YOU think the solution is?
I think the solution is as long as jax poses no real physical threat to her, she should have to "get over" the fact that he lives with us. If he ever showed signs of Anger or aggression, then I'd make other arrangements but until then she's being very whiny about it. And that's it, she whines about something her dad gives in. And that's not ok. I'm more worried about the principle here than I am the actual situation. No I'm not getting rid of my dog but he can't give into her like he does it's not healthy.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:58 AM

BagLady will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think the solution is as long as jax poses no real physical threat to her, she should have to "get over" the fact that he lives with us. If he ever showed signs of Anger or aggression, then I'd make other arrangements but until then she's being very whiny about it. And that's it, she whines about something her dad gives in. And that's not ok. I'm more worried about the principle here than I am the actual situation. No I'm not getting rid of my dog but he can't give into her like he does it's not healthy.

At 2 years old, your giving her a lot of credit for understanding the way you think, as an adult. She won't understand her own emotions until she's about 15. She cannot internalize like an adult.
Healthy is being nurtured at that age, not traumatized. Read the personal message I sent to you. You think she's being a brat. We're saying she's "being 2".

Tags
afraid, dog, little girl, puppy, scared