Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old August 10th, 2014, 06:59 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Twice? It's happened twice???

Last year, DD wanted fish for her fairy garden fountain. I spent $1.00 in feeder fish, figuring they'd die before fall. They didn't. I ended up spending about $40 to house those fish over the winter. 2 are still alive.

DD came home from the beach with hermit crabs. We spent about $20 for 2 crabs in a cage with some food, sponge, shells, etc. When we got home, she learned that they cannot live in that cage. So I've spent about $50 so far on things to set up a proper habitat.

How do such "cheap" pets cost so much to care for???
Old August 10th, 2014, 01:20 PM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Twice? It's happened twice???

We won some goldfish at a fair 5 years ago. By the end of the week we'd spent about $50 on them!!!!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old August 10th, 2014, 02:02 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

DD wanted a fish tank when she was in 1st grade. While I find looking at fish in fish tanks to be relaxing, I did not want to have one. I'm not a fan of cleaning the tanks, I'm not a fan of the smell, I'm not a fan of scrubbing algae off of the sides and flushing dead inhabitants. Mom said "no" and DD said "Daaaaaaddddddyyy" and DH got her a fish tank with three goldfish and made the solemn vow that he and she would be 100% responsible for them. That lasted a week.

Throughout the following two years, the fish died off one by one. Initially one would die, and DD would talk DH into buying another one. I think the average lifespan was about 5 months. Finally, I told DH no more. We had one fish remaining.

That fish is still alive, 9 years later.
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:09 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I so want to put the fish in the neighbor's pond.
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:33 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Those cheap little 15 cent feeder fish never die and they keep growing. A few years ago I bought one of those small porch fountains. It had a reservoir that held about 5-gallons. I put some sand in there, a few glass marbles and about 5 small feeder fish. My Gsons loved it. They used to sit and look at them when my wife would bring them on the porch to eat popsickles or whatever. Before winter hit, I bought a 10 gallon aquarium and brought them in the house. They doubled in size.

The next year they still fit in the fountain so they stayed there. And grew. I used the same aquarium that winter. Come spring, the fountain wasn't deep enough as a couple of them had to swim at an angle to fit, so I kept them in the aquarium. Then I had a bright idea - a 15 watt idea. I'm going to build a fishpond. I figured about 150 gallon one would do fine. Make one with a waterfall, filtered, a little concrete frog with a stream of water coming out of its mouth. My wife could plant some perenials around it. I could even put a heater in it so they could live through the winter. But I had to make it through another winter of those fish in my basement. By now these little feeder fish were about 5 inches in length and that 10-gallon aquarium wasn't working so I bought a 20 gallon tank. I had to clean that darn tank about once every two weeks. If I didn't it would start stinking. I made it through winter with those stinky fish. I was totally and completely fed up with them. Thank God for garage sales and little kids who think stinky feeder fish are so cool. I gave them away - for free! The aquariums... Bargain basement prices - they were doing me a favor.

But, all was not lost. My Gsons still talk about those stinky feeder fish and how cool it was to see them on the porch. I still have the fountain. And now I have an almost 3 year old Gdau... Hmmm!
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:35 AM

The return of the fish!
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:48 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do it, K2L...
Old August 28th, 2014, 04:20 AM

DD was pet sitting and she loves the pet. The family said she can just keep it. They will give us everything. How much will "free" cost me?
Old August 28th, 2014, 04:23 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Lucy! Would you DD like a slightly used cat?
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs X View Post
Hey Lucy! Would you DD like a slightly used cat?
DD would love a cat, but lucky/ sadly, YDS is allergic. He swells up when he's near them.