Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Step-families

Old February 11th, 2014, 08:37 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I help my stepson with his attitude?

Wis. keep us updated (if you wish)
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:40 PM

WisconsinMama will become famous soon enough

snafu, of course! Sorry I haven't posted updates yet. Been a crazy week this week since our little man just had to have surgery (Nothing major and he's healing well, so no worries! Just been a rough week for the poor guy)

Anyways, the older boys are with their mom this week. My hubby had parent teacher conferences a few days ago and he said the older one's teacher said he is doing very good with his grades, but she has noticed him have issues at school with his anger (such as throwing himself on the ground and things). My hubby asked that they please inform him when things like that happen (its crazy to me that they don't. Parents need to be involved and informed so they can work through stuff, in my opinion). Anyways, we've talked about doing a counselor outside of school and my hubby wants to wait just a little longer to see if my older stepson acts better or not and if he doesnt then we will pursue it. This last time we had them didn't go so bad, so I suppose it is fair to see how he is the next week we have them. And my hubby called their mom after PTC and asked if he could talk to them and he told them he was proud of them for their grades doing good. My older stepson asked to talk to me and he told me he loved me and missed me. I'm not sure if he meant it, or if he was saying it cause his mom was there and he wanted to make her mad. He sometimes likes stirring people up. So I don't know...

This is a frustrating situation but I really appreciate everyone letting me have a place to vent! I really need it and it helps. I also respect all of your advice and intend to apply it as things progress. I'm hoping things might get better on their own but I will for sure keep posting updates, especially next week when they are with us again.
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:11 PM

Hi everyone. Just updating you on my situation. My stepsons have been here since Monday now. It's been ok. He's had some attitude, done some glaring and stomping and crying, but I expect that to take time to go away. He hasn't said any swear words which I consider improvement, and he hasn't said anything scary. We'll see how it goes this weekend though when they are home all day and not at school. That usually is when most of the conflicts happen. I really hope this has just been a phase! The things he was saying and doing before were scaring me.
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:06 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Good news!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it keeps up!
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:44 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed for the weekend.
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:58 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes kids have transition anxiety and act out in different ways

I had two neices (different sides of the extended family) who would shut down and/or throw up

DS had some issues too, there have been a few different times where he'd get pizzy/grumpy and over react to little things
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:09 PM

Sorry for being so bad with updating. In my case no news was good news. Both stepsons were being great and there really weren't any major issues. The fear was inside me that my older stepson might act out again, but I was still very impressed and proud of him.

But then the last time they were with us it got bad again. He was treating one of his teacher disrespectfully and rudely and she had him write an I'm sorry letter at home to bring in the next day. He got really mad and told me she was lieing (he says that about anyone when they say he has done something wrong). He called me a B four times (throughout different days) and when I told him to not treat me that way, he just ignored me and walked away. And then tried to be overly sweet the next moment like he had done nothing wrong. My hubby punished him by not letting him have the TV all day (cause a lot of the drama was centered around him having had it 8 hours straight the day before and being furious when we decided to watch a show for ourself for a little bit)

It's his week with his mom now and my hubby got a phone call from the school saying my older stepson was fighting with another student. Literally fighting and throwing punches at only 8 years old. My hubby is seriously considering a therapist outside of the school one and is going to suggest it to his ex wife. Here's to hoping she agrees! She didn't last time he suggested it. But it would be good if we could figure out what's going on with my stepson so we can help him.
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:04 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you still want to. Two steps forward, one step back it sounds like. I hope the ex agrees to counseling for your stepson. He sounds like he needs to have someone safe to talk to.
Old March 27th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Swiss140 is just really niceSwiss140 is just really nice

It sounds to me that he defiantly benefit form some sort of counseling.

Has he been checked out for ADD or ADHD?
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Not yet, Swiss, but we suspect he might have something along those lines. My hubby hasn't been able to get a hold of his ex yet, but hopefully he can soon and then we can get this figured out. The other kid my stepson was fighting had a black eye and two teeth knocked out from the fight Really want to help him figure out what's wrong inside before it could get really bad. I wish his mom would take it more seriously too. She isn't really concerned about all of this.