Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Step-families

Old December 9th, 2015, 07:44 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: gift help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
I'm struggling on token gifts from the kids to my mum. What do you get someone who doesn't drink, had plenty of mugs had no where to put ornaments, only likes certain chocolates or sweets but not necessarily the same at the time you buy, has arthritis in her hands so she can no longer knit/sew/draw, is a techno phobe, doesn't were make up/perfume/jewellery. Can't have anything on the walls because of tenancy agreement.... I could go on. I have thought of some brilliant gifts over the years but being the person I've bought the longest for I've completely run out of steam! Not doing money because she wanted to give me money towards some clothes and me give her money towards something she wanted. That didn't make sense so I suggested we just get each other on behalf of the kids. 70th birthday next month so that's when I'll gift hey some money and I'm also getting her a personalised celebration cake from the kids. But I got nothing else!
A "memory" gift? They can sing, do a little play, or write letters...? I know it's gone out of style, but these are still very much appreciated by some.
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:22 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds a nice idea if I had the sort of kids that would entertain that and a mother who would appreciate it! I have thought before about giving my mum a journal which creates memories for the grandkids but I don't think she's many happy things she'd put in it. 😟

Sorry to hijack Snafu!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:36 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

snafu - your DSD has her own apartment, right? Are there any kitchen appliances or utensils she doesn't have which might be welcomed?

Anns - are there any food items (not chocolate or sweets, but things like cheeses or meats/fish) that she likes or would be happy to receive a gift certificate to a specialty store? What about teas? Plants? Wine?
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:52 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Anns - my DM really appreciated adaptive things such as:

knobs for her table lamps
a button hook (so she could button her pants)
jar opener (here in the states "good grips" makes stuff)
a can opener (battery powered)
shoe fasteners (so that she doesn't have to try to tie her shoes)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:55 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

btw - I'm at a bit of a loss for everyone (DH, DS, DSD)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:19 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Been there done that with most stuff! Probably will end up being a plant!

I have in the past done a hard back photo book from snap fish, got a friend who's an artist to paint a portrait onto a large pebble of her late doggy. Given her book art, acrylic 3d photos and many more things.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:50 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
Probably will end up being a plant!
A beautiful bouquet that dies so there is no long term care involved and you have something you can buy next time! I love it!
Old December 9th, 2015, 11:09 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big fan of "consumables" myself. I have way more stuff than I'll ever need. Honestly, my favorite presents are ones I don't have to find a place for.
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:11 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
btw - I'm at a bit of a loss for everyone (DH, DS, DSD)
Hey, can you tell us whether any of the things mentioned so far ring any bells or not? - We are shooting into a bit of a vacuum here otherwise.
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:52 PM
is a painting fool.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give it a shot...

Slipper socks are nice. They're soft, not to hot, comfortable. They even have little rubber beads on the bottoms to keep them from slipping of the floor.

I bought my mother a portable CD player and some earbuds - she was pretty deaf, but she could still listen to the music she liked with the earbuds.

I also bought her a remote lamp clicker - just push the button to turn it off and on. She kept it on her nightstand so she could turn off the light when she was in bed.

DVD's was always a hit with my mom. I would get on line and order all these Betty Davis and Charlton Heston movies, In the Heat of the Night series and some of the old epic films.

I got a hold of an old 8 x 10 of her mother and father together. I had a portrait print made from it.

A multi-generation photo made into a portrait print might not be bad.