Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:13 PM

skcupik is a jewel in the rough
Re: random acts of kindness

This is a great thread.

I several stories to tell here:

I try to do random acts of kindness regularly but I am sometimes better at thinking of them than at other times They tend to just manifest as planned acts of charity so maybe less random than planned.

Though last week I was walking into a coffee shop when I saw a woman with her young daughter. The kid had just asked for a hot chocolate and a cookie when the woman realized she'd forgotten her wallet. I bought them their drinks and cookie

I do a fair bit of volunteer work but on a sort of sporadic basis. Just before Xmas I made 18 pans of lasagnas and casseroles for the evening drop in at the local organization that supports and provides care for people in the community who have HIV, AIDS or Hepatitis (this population is largely homeless and this means they get a hot meal when they come by the office).

I helped several people in the past month bury their pets on my property (including a horse) very recently, I don't know if that counts.

I received an anonymous card in the mail the other day that had no return address and only said inside "T.Y." I have no idea who it was from but it was a very nice feeling.

Then today, when I REALLY needed it:

I went to pick up a load of hay, got it all stacked on the pick up, waved goodbye to the guy who helped me and went to put a tarp on it (it's calling for snow and rain tonight) and dislocated my shoulder! OMG so painful. It's an old injury that happens pretty often but I have to go to the hospital and to the ED to get it reset since it takes three people.

Called the poor hay guy back to help me tie the load down and drove myself one handed to the hospital which was luckily very close by. I didn't think I'd be there very long so I told them to not worry about the tarp (I was not thinking very clearly due to stress and pain).

Anyway, 3 hours later, I'm still sitting miserable in the waiting room. Called the hay guy back AGAIN and asked him if he would please be able to come help me put the tarp on. He came right back up with his son, just as I was getting called into the treatment area. I didn't have time to really thank him

When I came back out an hour later into the pouring rain, my load was all tied right down and tarped and they'd bought me a new parking permit so I wouldn't get a ticket.

So thankful. I'm trying to think of something nice to give him next time I'm up there. Maybe I'll get him a gift certificate for a nice meal somewhere.

Last edited by skcupik; January 3rd, 2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:21 PM

skcupik is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandi View Post
Poor thing was soo frightened, but we got her to safety. The owner was soo very thankful and wondered why she wouldn't come to him and I explained that she felt his fear also..and wanted to come to him through all that traffic in order to ease HIS fear.

Our society needs to take a good look at themselves sometimes. Not ONE single person in that parking lot tried to help this individual except me. They were all either too busy talking on their cell phones..or too busy not to care.
That warms my heart that you did that. My friends lost their german shepherd last month because he got loose chasing after a deer and then his owner called him back, not realizing he'd crossed a busy road. He was struck by a car and killed immediately trying to get back to her. Her guilt is horrendous.

There were two women across the road who saw him and shooed him away because they thought he was big and frightening. Horrible to think that it would have been so simple for them to catch him (he was very friendly) and keep him safe for a minute while his owner figured out where he was.
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:06 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcupik View Post
Maybe I'll get him a gift certificate for a nice meal somewhere.
I think that sounds great. And I hope your shoulder is better very soon!
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:52 PM

memyselfandi will become famous soon enough

I always tell customer service people what a great job they're doing...as I'm sure it's great to hear.

Last Summer, during one of the hottest days of the year, while at the gas station, I witnessed this poor kid going around cleaning out the gross garbage cans, wiping them down, picking carelessly thrown cigarettes off the ground, and using a scraper to get stuck gum off the parking lot.

What a gross job.

As the clean cut kid was walking by my car to the next gross garbage can he had to wipe down, and as he stooped down to pick up with his gloved hands yet another carelessly thrown cigarette, while getting into my car, I stopped and told him what a great job he was doing..that nobody probably wanted his job..including me. As he laughed, I told him that it was nice to see a smile on his face, as I hadn't seen a single one while he cleaned up all the gross crap people carelessly left behind, sometimes fighting bees in the garbage, etc.

His reply was, "Thank you ma'am" as he went on with his work.

I had a spare $10 bill I'd planned on spending on lunch, took it out of my purse, and gave it to the kid. Told him, "You deserve a raise for doing such a great job, but since your boss probably won't give you one..here's a little something for the great job you do.."

I could tell he wasn't one of those greedy kids that stuffs the money in their pockets right away, but rather, he looked at me and said, "Aww..it's just my job ma'am", but I insisted I was "Paying it Forward", so as he took it..he kinda looked at it as I said, "It's real..lol" and his reply was that his Grandad collected coins and currency..and that he was looking at the # on it. As he handed it back to me, I said, "Number isn't any good??" as I laughed, and he said, "No..it ain't that..but my boss might be watching..thank you anyway.."

So I took that $10 bucks, put it on top of the fullest garbage can he was going to have to clean next, with a note on it that said, "Someone musta thrown this out by accident..."

Old June 11th, 2015, 05:53 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the mall the other day & saw/heard a mom ask a cashier if he could give her change for a dollar - he told her he wasn't allowed to make change

I gave her some change (less than a $1.00). She had her little girl thank me.

(she was going to get her little girl something from the gumball/candy machines and discovered she didn't have enough change - I'd heard her entire conversation with the little one {who was being rewarded for excellent behavior}, then watched to see if she could get change)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:12 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
I'm sorry for your loss... It's good to see that you honored your stepdad so.

I like what you said. I believe in giving those "smiles" and talking to people. It reminds of this old man who used to work as a "greeter" at the local Walmart. He's still there, but he now restocks the shelves from the returns and misplaced items. He's kind of a crusty-grumpy looking old man and he never really said much of anything in the beginning. I used to always greet him - say hello or whatever. Now, when I see the man, he'll stop and we'll chat with my wife and I for a couple of minutes.

I agree... keep on smiling and treating these old folk good.
Update...

This old man is still working. He's back to being a greeter at the entrance. He moves a little slower now but, he still smiles.

Some time back I was at a grocery store and I noticed an old lady having a difficult time reading something she picked from the frozen food fridge - she was holding it very, very close to her eyes. Obviously she was almost blind or had macular degeneration. I walked up to her and asked her if she needed help. She accepted it and I helped her get the products she wanted. We talked for a few minutes and we went our separate ways. My heart went out to her. My mother had macular degeneration and it really sucks. My mother used to love to read and she lost that ability - literally overnight.

My heart goes out to old people.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:19 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

One of my co-workers loves a particular brand of coffee (so do members of my extended family).... I had 20% off at a store that carries it .... so ... I got some for

MIL
SisIL
Co-worker

Old November 15th, 2015, 01:09 PM
future crazy cat lady

I was the recipient for an act of kindness today.... a guy in a Porsche was ahead of me in the drive thru paid for my order ... (I was getting tea, hoping the caffeine would help my headache).

Old December 25th, 2015, 04:27 AM

memyselfandi will become famous soon enough

There was a man that sat on the picnic table outside the shelter I used to work at. He didn't bother anybody.

The shelter wanted him gone; but I felt sorry for the man. I went out and asked why he was sitting out there with his dog.

The man was homeless as he could find nowhere that would take both him and his sweet Pit Bull.

He wanted to give her up to the shelter, but just couldn't do it, so everyday, he'd sit on the picnic table trying to get up the strength to give her up..walk away with her; come back and try to get the strength up again; yet just couldn't do it.

I also volunteer for a local rescue group and knew the VP had apartments that took Pits. I took him and his sweet baby to meet my VP..she fell in love with the dog; and found an apartment for them both where they're now living happily ever after.

YAY!!
Old December 25th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandi View Post
There was a man that sat on the picnic table outside the shelter I used to work at. He didn't bother anybody.

The shelter wanted him gone; but I felt sorry for the man. I went out and asked why he was sitting out there with his dog.

The man was homeless as he could find nowhere that would take both him and his sweet Pit Bull.

He wanted to give her up to the shelter, but just couldn't do it, so everyday, he'd sit on the picnic table trying to get up the strength to give her up..walk away with her; come back and try to get the strength up again; yet just couldn't do it.

I also volunteer for a local rescue group and knew the VP had apartments that took Pits. I took him and his sweet baby to meet my VP..she fell in love with the dog; and found an apartment for them both where they're now living happily ever after.

YAY!!
Awesome story.