Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old December 7th, 2017, 01:48 PM

Rphillips52 is on a distinguished road
Pre holiday update and thoughts

Hello everyone! Since my last post I've been very busy helping the family adjust to the new living arrangements we've had. The house was worked on quite a great deal being fully cleaned and furnished though a good third of it still remains unoccupied(not counting the coming holidays where we're expecting a small village haha!) and we're figuring out what to do with it on a regular basis. My nephew and his wife have also moved out as their place was finally sorted out. We've also slightly solved the food issue with the house being built in such a way to have only one large kitchen in between various self contained living areas. We've managed to install microwaves and small refrigerators in each living area and potential living area. But traffic in the kitchen still remains high because everyone still likes a home cooked meal hahaha (cant deny me being among them). As for the upkeep of the house we've been able to hire the appropriate people to help with that.

Also my son and his family including the long lost in laws are coming over tomorrow and are staying till the new year. As excited as the family is I do admit a great bit of nerves on my part especially with the time being not the best for a more low key first stay. The house has already been chosen as the number one spot for all festivities and I'm hoping they don't turn out too chaotic . It will be the first time in many years that the entire family on all sides will all be in one place for an extended time and the first time ever being in a house. (Back then we'd either have large vacations or book a public venue). So fingers crossed my first attempt to play host goes well. If I don't log on before then I'll wish you all a happiest of holidays in advance but I hope to continue hearing from you all as soon as it is convenient. I must admit the people on this site are far nicer and supportive than I've seen previously and I find each log in a positive experience hahaha
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:16 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pre holiday update and thoughts

The holidays sound very busy!

You didn't ask for any advice, so please forgive me if I overstep.

This is the first time you're hosting all of the extended family for an extended stay. The most important thing you need to survive is to know your own limits. Allow your guests to be responsible for themselves a little bit so that you have time to just relax and wind down. You will find that you enjoy the visit more if you aren't the concierge!

Happy holidays! I can't wait to hear how things go.
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:57 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Me too! Wishing you much joy with all of your family, and perhaps more importantly, peace. LOL.
Old December 8th, 2017, 08:44 PM

careyon is on a distinguished road

sounds hectic but loads of fun! Enjoy your family.
Old December 9th, 2017, 02:04 PM

Rphillips52 is on a distinguished road

Wow it constantly amazes me at the quick responses I receive hahaha thanks all! Our first guests arrived yesterday (my boy and his family). My daughter in law as expected brought along her parents. Managed to show them around the house and have a more private lunch and dinner with just them the kids and my wife (thank goodness for the many rooms hahaha). Grandkids love the house so that's a plus. The kids seem almost relieved that they'd get privacy. The parents too seem like the friendly type. Son's mother in law has been quite a help at times driving five hours over to the kid's place to watch the grandkids. She seems to get along very well with my wife and MIL as they spent hours chatting away last night. Son's father in law is slightly more on the reserved side but is also very amiable. He had experience in hotel management and was able to figure out that the house was never always a fully residential home which was quite impressive.

Today the in law's are getting to know some of the rest of our family. My wife,MIL AND FIL took them out to the mall for a bit of pre holiday shopping. My parents decided to tag along too as they weren't home yesterday. Quiet day overall other than all the kids playing. I feel like its the calm before the storm hahaha. Grandma and Great uncle have settled in very nicely in their part of the house they spend their days playing cards and watching TV and have even come out to dinner more frequently making the caretaker's job very easy. Son in law and his father are busy at work. SIL's mother and my daughter are out attending some extra curricular activity of my older grandson. Wife's uncle has taken the liberty to buy the various drinks for the festivities and is sorting them out with his wife. My brother is trying to map out parking for the visitors while my wife's brother and sister in law are planning sleeping arrangements for all the out of towners. As for me I'm in the so called "study" writing this post and catching up with my sister who is just as intrigued by the forum as I am. My brother in law has volunteered to watch the kids and seems to be having a bit of fun while my son and daughter in law explore town on their own before catching up with the others for tea.

It has been a rather slow at times slightly hectic but otherwise uneventful day but at least it's given me some more time to write to all of you as I do admit that I enjoy just sharing the little nuances of life with you all.
Old December 9th, 2017, 02:32 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I love hearing it. I love the way your whole family comes together. It is very refreshing.