Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:22 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What does your teen pay for?

currently my DS earns money by mowing our lawn or shoveling snow. He also gets an allowance each month and $$ based upon his grades. Originally he wasn't going to play HS soccer and I told him he'd need to get a job ... DH gave him a cash incentive to play.

He's saved his money and bought his own DS, a laptop, and now has to pay for gifts he gets for others. He's saving to get a car ... but I think he spends a bit of $ on junk (game cards, etc.)
Old December 11th, 2014, 09:10 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
But I do appreciate the life lessons and feeling of accomplishment that kids get from working. I know I did as a teenager. I didn't "need" to work but chose to. It's just that times were so different then.

My DD puts in 12 hour days (on average - some are much more!) at school between classes and after school activities. She then comes home, eats dinner, then puts in 3-4 hours of studying per night. I mean, I never did that!!

I kind of feel like they are missing out by not having jobs, but I'm not sure that *they* (with their personalities) are suffering.

follow your gut feeling, if it really bothers you,
Quote:
But I do appreciate the life lessons and feeling of accomplishment that kids get from working. I know I did as a teenager.
then maybe you could discuss it with hubby, then all of you sit down and discuss it. Explain to them what a perspective a person gets when they work. And if not, then its ok, everyone is different, ya gotta do what works for you, regardless of what anyone else does.

Everything seems to be all right to me?
Old April 12th, 2018, 07:09 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is an old tread, but DS is now 19, he pays for his own gas makes his own car payments and paid for most of the down payment

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old May 2nd, 2018, 05:03 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I'm impressed. Really, I am. I bet he takes good care of it too. Kudos to your son.
Old May 13th, 2018, 06:19 PM
future crazy cat lady

Thanks

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )

Tags
expenses, gas, job, money, teen