Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Parents

Old May 22nd, 2018, 03:12 AM

alexagirl is on a distinguished road
Fixed marriage?

My parents have been very blunt about me marrying their friendís son. They said they already fixed our marriage, and it will be happening in two months time. This is really frustrating! I understand how eager they are to see me walking down the aisle but this is too much. I even broke up with my long-term boyfriend *moderator edit*because of what they have agreed with that family who wants me to marry their son. I know theyíre doing this for business purposes, if you know what I mean - two families agreed to have their kids married and solve whatever problem each company has. What a shame! What should I do? I havenít even met the guy yet!

Last edited by KayKay; May 24th, 2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 03:55 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fixed marriage?

If you are in the United States, just say no. Your parents can't force you to marry and arranged marriages without consent of the spouses are not valid. If you are under 18, it's also considered child abuse.

Do you think you can so no?
Old May 25th, 2018, 08:14 AM

alexagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
If you are in the United States, just say no. Your parents can't force you to marry and arranged marriages without consent of the spouses are not valid. If you are under 18, it's also considered child abuse.

Do you think you can so no?
I already said "no" to them but they won't listen. But I told them I need to see the guy first. I'm living here in Asia and this tradition has been observed in our country for so long. I'm really pissed off with my parents!
Old May 25th, 2018, 04:05 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't seem like you have many options.

Fly back to Asia from California and meet the guy first. He might be wonderful. Or, he might be as uninterested in this marriage as you are.

Tags
advice