Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old October 11th, 2014, 01:57 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
empty nest

How does anyone here feel about having an "empty nest"

Strangely, I'm looking forward to having more "us" time with DH, rather than trying to juggle things ... I will miss DS when he moves out

(DH can retire when DS graduates High School)

I'm also looking forward to the day we have grandkids, so we can do zoo trips, etc. rather than trying to do things with teens
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:21 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: empty nest

looking forward to not having to share a car!
Old October 11th, 2014, 07:11 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little nervous about it. Besides just missing my kids, my main day-to-day activity revolves around my kids' school. I will be losing that too.

I'm sure it will be fine. I barely see my kids as it is. It won't be too different - just less mess in the house.
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:33 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

as in everything else in life, it does take a while to adjust. It is a hard time, very hard for me, b/c the house became so darn quiet. Our home was the home that all the kids came to. You just have to look for other things to keep yourself busy....and then after a while, it becomes part of your routine...

What you must keep in mind, is, never make your children your whole purpose in life, and quickly find other things to keep yourself busy, classes, friends, doing things that you always wanted to do, but were to busy to.

Hugs....
Old October 14th, 2014, 08:15 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I am having a hard time. More "us" time would be great, but I miss having children to play with.
Old October 14th, 2014, 09:14 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing I have to 'fess up to looking forward to is the food. DH and I like foods that my kids don't, so I can get back to cooking meals that *I* like versus meals that everyone will eat.
Old November 19th, 2014, 06:36 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

You always miss your kids, no matter what....but one thing I failed to understand when we were all distant from each other and that is....

Life is like a revolving door, it never stays the same and is constantly changing and unfortunately, sometime, we must change with it, or remain in a black hole of sorts, regressing instead of progressing.

So, when our children leave the house, we must put forth a new concept of change, and get out there and do things, that we always wanted to do, but never had the time, this is "your" time now, and your life....no more putting everyone else first, which is what we are all used to.

It can be a sort of new life, if you allow it to be....yes, it is hard...especially if we've made our kids and husband our only purpose, which isn't healthy for us or for them....however, and I'm not suggesting that any of you did....but now, change is in the air once again...so, take it by the horns and plan things that you can look forward to.

Get away weekends with hubby, take some classes, paint, accomplish those hobbies you've always dreampt of doing....
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:40 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Life's not boring... That's for... sure.

You never stop being a parent - no matter how old you are.
Old January 10th, 2015, 09:16 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

our "fledgling" who is out of the house is currently sick and so is her puppy. She wants to come back home so somebody can take care of her. If it wasn't such a long drive I would go (she wants her daddy though)
Old July 1st, 2015, 02:01 PM
future crazy cat lady

wow - 2.25 more years, then I'll have an empty nest

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )