Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Parents

Old December 27th, 2017, 04:08 PM

Ohmysoul1234 is on a distinguished road
I canít stand my mom. Help.

Hi, trying to give a brief background on our situation, my mom came to live wih me and my husband and our daughter 2 and a half years ago. The reason she came to live with for both of usís good. My mother had been living with my abusive father for 30 years and she had no way out. I know she wanted to leave but she couldnít for many reasons (fear of revenge to herself and to her family etc.) also sheís very passive person and fear changes blah blah okay . Also, me having no other family around and having to work with my daughter so young I needed some help. My dad physically couldnít be where I was so it was a perfect chance for her to leave him without worrying about him finding her and hurting her , also she kind of had an excuse (ďshe had to help meĒ). Anyhow, it was great at first. Even though I had been away from her since I went to college and now I have my own family and a lot of things have changed, it seemed to be fine. I exactly donít remember when we actually started having issues. It would be a lie if I say I didnít foresee this because I know growing up, I never got along with her and in my teenage years I would always argue with her and stuff like that. So I even mentioned casually, before she came, what if we donít get along and canít live together and she said then I will just go back but we will be fine. Lol yea .. not fine at all. My momís been very controlling and very naggy and I am an almost 30 year old grown up woman. She always nagged so much and wanted everything in her way when I was growing up , like some other person even say it to her face not to do that when she saw what my mom was doing to me. So we had some ugly arguments and yellig and all that since she started living with us. What I canít stand is that I bring up something because itís just not right what she does and she goes all into about because I hate her so much so I just treat her like that blah blah. I honestly think thay she feels guilty being here because she has no income at all and I basically take care of her. Sheís from forein country so I had to pay a lot for her to even have a basic insurance . So she thinks that I hate her for those reasons .. I honestly feel a little burdened.. it would be a lie if I didnít but I donít hate her for those reasons I just canít stand her because of her behavior.I basically got her out of that horrible situation like he was physically abusing her every day and she couldnít get out herself but she always makes a big deal about she had to quit her job to come here because I told her to come and itís just been ridiculous. I wouldnít have had her come to live with me if her living situation was fine and my mom and dad were in a healthy relationship. From my standpoint I made this decision more for her not for myself or our family. Even though it was tough without any help, we are grown up people and we wouldíve been just fine. But I canít even mention anything like this because the reason she came here is for us. She doesnít seem to appreciate the fact that I got her out of that situation otherwise she would be still suffering. Iíve been so tired lately that sheís so controlling and her being around just doesnít really do good for me and my husbandís relationship because her having no sense of privacy and stuff and she was just draining me. We had a big fight today because her nagging has been out of hand recently and I have been holding it for awhile, it kind of started with me asking her what sheís gonna do if she has to go back to her country (because my husbandís job, if we go overseas or something) and she just snapped at me right away saying Iíll be fine! Do whatever you want to do! I know you want me to go back and donít want me around anyways! Ugh.. I was asking because I really didnít know what her plan was with no income and my dad still being there and stuff.. and it just all got ugly. I told her I donít hate her because sheís here and sheís a burden (which she thinks is the case) and itís just been hard because sheís been very controlling and her behavior has been hurting me. But of course she doesnít admit that she is controlling and she sees nothing wrong with her behavior and she just does not understand anything . Sheís just always right and yea itís just ugly. Even though I still love her because sheís my mom I donít know how long I can stand her being around me. I almost want to hear from somebodyelse outside family that sheís wrong so she can realize but sheís the person thatís always right and nothing is wrong with her. I just want to hear how our situation looks like to others and want to find out if Iím the one whioís wrong? Iím just so lost and confused. And I donít know how to tell her to leave without hurting her . Because she takes it really hard and thinks that Iím a bad ***** to her already. I just have so much anxiety with her I canít control my anger toward her when she does this. I need to end it soon and also make both of us happy.

Last edited by Ohmysoul1234; December 27th, 2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:37 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I canít stand my mom. Help.

What options do you have?

The ones I come up with are:
- send her back (would she have to live with your dad?)
- have her move out to a small place nearby where she can still help with childcare but she won't be living with you
- help her get a job so she can become independent
- the two of you come up with household rules so that neither of you get angry

Do you think she'd be willing to go see a counselor? Honestly, she sounds like she's a little lost. She may be trying to control you in an effort to still feel needed and useful. Those are her issues to work through, but in the meantime she is hurting your relationship with her.
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:56 PM

Ohmysoul1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
What options do you have?

The ones I come up with are:
- send her back (would she have to live with your dad?)
- have her move out to a small place nearby where she can still help with childcare but she won't be living with you
- help her get a job so she can become independent
- the two of you come up with household rules so that neither of you get angry

Do you think she'd be willing to go see a counselor? Honestly, she sounds like she's a little lost. She may be trying to control you in an effort to still feel needed and useful. Those are her issues to work through, but in the meantime she is hurting your relationship with her.
Thanks for the reply! You are right I think sheís lost and sheís been lost for so long in an abusive relationship with my dad I donít think she can think right. On top of that her personality just makes it worse. She thinks that sheís really a ďgood personĒ because she endured all the abuse from my dad itís like sort of a crown for her which is so wrong. But anyways, I think sending her back would be the best choice and even though she doesnít have to live with him, I think she would always fear that he might find her and do something bad to her so itís still not an easy situation for her. Her getting a job here or being on her own.. I really donít think sheís willing to.. she is so dependent on me and passive she wonít even get out of the house to make friends or anything. Okay, she doesn't really speak English so it would be hard for her to get a job but I at least wanted her to make friends from her country here because they have their churches and communities and stuff but sheís just not willing to.. she now just started going to walmart on her own after 2 years sheís been here. Itís really like I have another child but that child is controlling me as well... she also doesnít think having issues with me is a serious problem.. and doesnít realize how much sheís hurting me. Iím just going to have to send her back but I want her to understand the situation.. itís not because I hate her for no reason.. but yea itís hard 😭

Last edited by Ohmysoul1234; December 27th, 2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old December 27th, 2017, 07:53 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

She's an adult though. Going back would have to be her choice, just as not assimilating to her new life with you has been her choice. Don't let her lay that on you...
Old December 28th, 2017, 11:15 AM

scatteredmusician is on a distinguished road

This sounds like kind of a passive/aggressive situation to me. You say she is passive but really, she bullies you until things go her way. This is a difficult place to be in, however it is her choices that got her here. It was her choice in the beginning to marry her husband, her choice not to learn English, her choice not to try to improve herself and get a job. None of this is your fault and I sympathize because I know you want to do the right thing. I wonder if just talking to a counselor a bit might help you? Maybe you could get some direction as to how to proceed. Some churches have programs, some state agencies might be of help. *moderator edit to remove agency name and phone number which is a little too close to advertising* Whatever, get some other professional opinions. I wish you well.

Last edited by KayKay; December 28th, 2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:51 PM

scatteredmusician,

I removed the agency that you advised and the phone number simply because the agency is well known for a political stance and we have a strict no-advertising, no-promotion, no-advocating policy here. People from the particular agency you referenced have previously joined our forum to promote their services, and even though the services are good we must consistently apply forum rules. Our forum rules can be found here: http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com...aq_forum_rules

Thank you.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:44 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree that counseling for you might be a good idea. My mom is currently living with me and I can sympathize a lot. She does not really go out and make friends and doesn't seem to have much of a life.

For your sake I think you need to get her out of the house somehow.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )