Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old June 16th, 2018, 11:43 AM

Wandarlust is on a distinguished road
Dog walking question

I'm fairly certain I know how I will handle this situation; but I wanted to get some feedback.

I am retired, and was home a lot the last year or so as I did not have a car.
I do now, however. Nice to have wheels again. From time to time my next door neighbor would call and ask me to walk her dog, she was running late at work. Didn't happen often, but often enough.

Then her office moved (or something) and she felt she wouldn't have time to come home and walk him and wouldn't get home in the evenings as early as she had. She asked if I would walk him once a day, in the middle of the day, so he'd be ready to go out again when she got home. She'd give me $10/week. Well, I said fine, but did not check what local dog walkers charge for this service. That is totally on me.

Well, over time, she has "forgotten" to pay me on several occasions. She ends up paying me the following Monday instead of leaving the money for me at the end of the week. This past Friday, there was no money again. I texted her and said that I may or may not be out when she got home; if I wasn't home, slip the money under the door. She said fine, she "forgot" to leave it that morning. Well, I did not go out as planned, but never heard from her. I was shocked to see that her door was locked, car gone (she goes home most every weekend) and no money! This after discussing less than 6 hours before.

That made me mad. So, I decided to see what she would pay if she got someone to do this instead of me. I nearly fell off of my chair. Locally, anywhere from $12 and up for a 15-20 minute walk, NOT $10/week! It makes me believe that she just assumed that I had/have nothing to do all day so anything would do and paying for services rendered was when she "remembers".

If I choose to continue, my fee will definitely be more in keeping with local rates. But a 90% discount and paying late will no longer fly. However, I'm wondering if she is just a habitually late person. If so, I really don't want to continue. I just don't think you should have to ask to be paid as agreed upon.

Thoughts?
Old June 16th, 2018, 04:23 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog walking question

I think she's taking advantage of your kindness, and I wouldn't want to mess with the collection process even if she did agree to the higher rate. I'd just tell her that you won't be continuing and salvage whatever good relationship you can have with her and her dog.

Or, if you choose to continue, tell her you're signing up for Venmo and she can pay you that way. Tell her the new process is that when she's late paying you won't be walking her dog until you get payment. That way, you can shoot her a text reminding her about payment and she can send you money while her phone is still in her hand.
Old June 16th, 2018, 09:27 PM

Wandarlust is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I think she's taking advantage of your kindness, and I wouldn't want to mess with the collection process even if she did agree to the higher rate. I'd just tell her that you won't be continuing and salvage whatever good relationship you can have with her and her dog.

Or, if you choose to continue, tell her you're signing up for Venmo and she can pay you that way. Tell her the new process is that when she's late paying you won't be walking her dog until you get payment. That way, you can shoot her a text reminding her about payment and she can send you money while her phone is still in her hand.
My feelings also. I think she needs someone to walk the dog (more convenient than running home) but probably could do without it. This is a convenient and VERY cheap fix for her. But, the "I need you when I need you" but can't seem to remember to pay you from time to time reminds me of girls who continue to be around for guys when they need someone to be their date, what not, but make excuses for why they don't call back, etc. Her actions and words don't match.

As to Venmo, she's never heard of it. Or so she says. She also has an iPhone, as do I. Set a reminder for heavens sake! LOL

Thank you!
Old June 24th, 2018, 05:37 PM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

When I was an independent contractor pet care person in a large city a couple of years ago - the pet owners were charged anywhere from $10 to 20 per outing, depending on time allotted. (quicky puppy let outs were a bit less. Long walks with big pups, more) The actual walker got half.

The company that had the keys, insurance, etc got the other half.

I began my own little business and I charged $7 per 20 minute walk, water, etc. I would open the gate, the doors, run to disarm the alarm, find dog, get him harnessed up then out we would go...
On a great day, I had 10-13 walks a day for the week. Only those near by that I could walk to. The farther away from MY home, the more travel time and gas, and parking in a big city fees they would be charged.

Sometimes I had sleepovers if the owners were leaving for a couple days...

All owners pre-paid or no go (out) for pup. it's just business. nothing personal.

Inform her "WAG" will do it. But she will have to PREpay.

...land of the free. kind of...maybe...not so much.

Last edited by JemStar; June 24th, 2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old June 28th, 2018, 07:33 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

any updates?

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )