Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old October 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has much to be proud ofsnafu has much to be proud ofsnafu has much to be proud of
@*# - my closet is cold

I hate my clothes being cold in the mornings, when I get dressed! One wall (my side) of the closet is along an outside wall & the closet is cold every morning - DH & I have been leaving the door open (the cats like that ), but the air doesn't circulate .

Any suggestions? I'm wondering how much it would cost to put a duct in the closet- there's a duct on the other side of one wall -
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Brownie is on a distinguished road
Re: @*# - my closet is cold

Not very fancy but my DH drops his clothes on the heat vent in the bathroom in the morning to warm them up after he showers. Before that, the towels are on the heat vent.....LOL
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM

KayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud of

Ditto, Brownie, but we don't have heating vents. Our entire bathroom is cold for some reason (despite eastern exposure) so we have a portable space heater. I turn it on when I go into the bathroom, and drop my towel and my clothes in front of it to warm up while I shower. (Our closet is off of the master bath) It's a great treat to have a warm cuddly towel to wrap up in after the shower!

Other option... pick your clothes out the night before and keep them out of the closet. That's what my DD (whose closet abuts the garage so is cold in winter) does.
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:26 AM

LucyVanPelt has a brilliant futureLucyVanPelt has a brilliant futureLucyVanPelt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Not very fancy but my DH drops his clothes on the heat vent in the bathroom in the morning to warm them up after he showers. Before that, the towels are on the heat vent.....LOL
Our first house had those big hot water radiators. I used to put our towels on them, clothes on them at night, the coats on them, etc. I can't tell you how much I miss that house and those radiators, especially in the winter!

Snafu, if there's a duct on the other side, it's really not that big of a deal to put in your closet. Is your DH handy?
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Blue Skies will become famous soon enough

We have those old cast iron radiators and boy, do we love them this time of year!!! It's easier for me to get the kids to take showers/baths in the winter because we put the towels on them before they hit the tub. One of the beauties of having an old house.

We also put wet gloves & mittens on them and snow boots on the floor in front of them. Especially helpful after a snowball fight.

Our last house had forced air heat, and I did a similar thing - hung the towels over the grate. This would work well for clothes too, but you'd have to go into the cold closet to get them if you didn't leave them out the night before.
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:58 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has much to be proud ofsnafu has much to be proud ofsnafu has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Snafu, if there's a duct on the other side, it's really not that big of a deal to put in your closet. Is your DH handy?

DH grew up without a dad in the house (parents were divorced) and isn't handy. PFIL is though....I may ask him to help me with projects I'd like done.

(I've put up with cold clothes too many years)
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:29 AM

Mrs X has much to be proud ofMrs X has much to be proud ofMrs X has much to be proud of

How about a little electrical heater in your closet (wardrobe?)? - Alternatively, what about one of those light bulbs that heats up the room a little bit? - I'm not sure how big the room is.
Old December 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Swiss140 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
I hate my clothes being cold in the mornings, when I get dressed! One wall (my side) of the closet is along an outside wall & the closet is cold every morning - DH & I have been leaving the door open (the cats like that ), but the air doesn't circulate .

Any suggestions? I'm wondering how much it would cost to put a duct in the closet- there's a duct on the other side of one wall -
This sounds similar to my closet. My house is old (I don't have the raider heat though) and My closet used to be part of the porch, when the previous owners redid the house they did not put heat in the closet. When it is 20 below outside it is 20 below in my closet since the closet in in the corner there are 2 outside walls. I don't keep my clothes in there.